We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Bolton, ( Greater Manchester) to North London

Cyprus
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel from Bolton, ( Greater Manchester) to North London

I need some advice as to how to get from Bolton to London. I've searched the net and two easiest ways are:

1. by plane from Manchester to London

2. By train from Mancester to London

The cost online for a train is 116 sterling whearas by plane it's approx 90 sterling.

I presume it's too much hassle to go by plane with all the airport procedures.

Is there not a tube that goes from Manchester to London?

I need to London for the day, go in the morning and return in the evening. Any suggestions???

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Bolton, ( Greater Manchester) to North London

Your prices could be much too high unless you are travelling in the very near future, I"ve doem it for about £12 each way. Buy in advance and both would be much cheaper, train especially so.

For a one day commute, train is by far the most practical because its city centre to city centre, so you cut out the time of travel to from airports, plus the extra time allowed at each end, probably at leat another couple of hours each way. Go to www.nationalexpresseastcoast.co.uk to check. Prices will be for specific trains. If your timing means you cannot get cheap tickets (trains arriving LOndon early morning likely wont be the cheapest) a cheaper way would be by road on coach but it will take twice as long, see www.nationalexpress.co.uk

I'm mystified why you would imagine that anyone would dig a 200 long mile tunnel between the two cities, or why the cost of doing that would make it cheaper to run a train compared to the cost of one above ground.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Bolton, ( Greater Manchester) to North London

Going by plane would make most sense if you are going from south of Manchester to West of London (near the airports) - but you are not.

So I agree with Joe, take the train and book ahead but beware of peak hour charges and cancellation fees if you change your mind. You can usually use the ticket on a different train within its limitations but handing it back for refund costs an administration fee of about £10. You can probably get a connecting train from Bolton.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,014 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Bolton, ( Greater Manchester) to North London

Why Joe always has to be sarcastic remains a mystery to me. If you get the train from Bolton to London you will need to change at Manchester Piccadilly. You can get a train from Bolton to the airport. For a domestic flight the airport procedure shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Personally I would do which ever was cheapest and suits your schedule.

Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Bolton, ( Greater Manchester) to North London

Train is by far the most convenient.

As the walk up fare from Manchester is £65.10 one way off peak return but £247.00 peak return I presume you have already priced on an advance purchase with one fare being in peak time. If not do remember two single fares on fixed trains are much cheaper almost always, even at the last minute.

The train is almost certain to be faster than plane. The journey from Manchester to London only take a little over 2 hours, with no check in time. The flight - terminal to terminal - is over an hour plus check in and security time, and leaves you potentially a long way from central London. Whats more transport to and from airports will quickly take the fare up so there will be no real price difference.

Cyprus
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Bolton, ( Greater Manchester) to North London

Thanks Joe..sorry for the late reply but my laptop broke down. I think I might give Londan a miss :) but if i do decide to go i'll take the train.

Don't be mistified....I'm a virgo :)

6. Re: Travel from Bolton, ( Greater Manchester) to North London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2010, 05:17