We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester night life around town hall

manchester
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Manchester night life around town hall

Hi there, Hope you can help. Going into Manchester for a meal and drinks, there is about 20 of us, men and women. I am looking to go to Leonis Latin Cellar then go drinks to maybe Mojo. Has anyone been to either if so can you let me know what they are like. Also can you give me alternatives for the bars/pubs around that area in case for somereason we don't like Mojo or the bouncers for example take it on theirselves to be difficult cause we are quiet a large group. All comments will be welcome. Cheers in advance .

Clare

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester night life around town hall

there is the likes of bar 38 on peter street about 5 mins from the town hall, or a variety of pubs on deansgate such as moon under water, living room etc all of which would be suitable

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester night life around town hall

Mojos is great. SHould be OK to get in. Business being business, I'd let them know you're coming as I'm sure you'll spend a few quid.

It's above (sort of) a place called the Pink Pussycat which is a very nice bar. It's also (sort of) across from the Bridge pub which used to be good, went terrible and has since changed hands again and is supposed to be OK.

A tiny bit further and there's also Mulligans (great Irish bar that would be packed with an extra 20 people) and Revolution (behind Kendals) which is very big.

I've never been to Leoni's but I know where it is. Pretty close to Mojos so easy to walk.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
637 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester night life around town hall

warning! mojo's can get very claustrophobic and unless you go before about 10pm, i think you'll have to queue. if you all get in, you'll have good time though.

around leoni's, i'd be inclined to pop to mr.thomas's os sam's chophouse, both very close by. my favourite though is corbieres on half moon street (off st.annes square). a more modern bar,lime, is also just around the corner as is the more traditional town hall tavern.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester night life around town hall

Hi

My favourite area of manchester, we will be there on saturday night at piccolinos.

We start in lime bar, thats quite nice, and chilled all age groups(IM 38), before that we go in the waterhouse weatherspoons, a nicer city centre weatherspoon, as it has various different rooms, great prices on drinks my fave is there spanish rioja wine, and there cosmopolitans.

Slug and lettuce albert sq is good and chilled out.

Mojos is a good place its more of an indie bar, playing the likes of oasis, and I think recently they have live bands on.

Leonis celler restaurant is near to the model shop nearby is bar 38 which is also a great bar, we often go on a sunny saturday afternoon and sit outside..

Enjoy Manchester :0)

Manchester
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester night life around town hall

The clincher is what night you're going?

On a Friday/Saturday night I think a party of 20 people would struggle to get into any decent bars or pubs, certainly post 9pm as they tend to be pretty much packed at that point.

Mojo is great, but as noted it's small - 20 of you would pretty much take up a quarter of the bar! If you want to stay there and batter the very decent cocktails - and who could blame you - then get there early and stay there.

Leoni's in awful. Personally I'd avoid. If you want that style of food try Piccolinos or somewhere else nearby.

If you're going on a day other that Fri/Sat then you'll find getting into places a lot easier, though to be honest the more popular restaurants tend to be busy even on a Thursday or Sunday and without booking a party of twenty will struggle.

My tip is be super-organised and plan ahead (booking restaurants, pre-warning bars etc) and then on the night you can just relax without the stress or queing, getting turned away, arguing with bouncers etc.

Oh, if you are there on a Friday/Saturday night then try eating on Spinningfields. It's an architecturally impressive new business district just off Deansgate (like Docklands, minus the docks) and has a decent clutch of restaurants (albeit chains) but because it is new and is more of a business location it can still be very quiet at the weekend.

There's a decent Japanese down there but I always pop down for Strada, which has outdoor seating by the river and is pretty much the best of the national pizza/Italian chains (sits between Pizza Express and Carluccios I reckon). Once you've eaten you can hit the more buzzy places (like Mojo's) for drinks.

Cheers

Thom

6. Re: Manchester night life around town hall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2010, 05:17