We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Weekend in Manchester

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Weekend in Manchester

I am going to Manchester for the weekend with my husband in November. We don't get away alot as we have a 20 month old baby so this is special. We're planning on staying at the Manchester Macdonald hotel by the train station (using tesco vouchers!!!) and would really love some advice on what to see and do. We've chosen Manchester as it's close to where we live and we spent a weekend there when we were dating so thought we'd go back. Any advice on what to see and do and nice restaurants to try would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Weekend in Manchester

what do you both like? What are your interests?

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Weekend in Manchester

As a dad with young kids I've loved those rare weekends when you get to dump the kids at home and go on a weekend trip. Hope you have a great time.

Your hotel is on the outskirts of town but easily walking distance to most places.

You've got the gay village and Chinatown within 5-10 minutes. Lots of good options here. Red Chilli is fantastic. My favourite restaurant in Manchester.

You're also close to the Northern Quarter which is quite 'grungy' but full of lovely independent shops and a few nice coffee shops and bars.

The Art Gallery (just through Chinatown) is a nice romantic spot to wander around. There's a nice coffee shop here which is miles nicer than any of the million Starbucks or Cafe Nero's in town.

The Cornerhouse cinema and art gallery is nice to visit and it's often nice to watch an obscure foreign film followed by a beer in their very cute bar. There's also an AMC and an Odeon in the city centre. The thing my wife and I really miss now we have kids is going to the cinema to see almost everything. We don't get babysitters to go to the cinema, for some reason.

Loads of shopping options but I doubt if these are much better or different from Leeds.

If there's anything specific you're after, I'm sure someone could offer a recommendation.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Weekend in Manchester

At the MacDonald, you're not far from the Michael Cains restaurant at Abode. I haven't been, but it consistently gets good reviews and is probably the best place to go if you want fine dining. The chef (Ian Matfin - was on this year's Great British Menu) just won chef of the year at the Manchester food and drink awards.

Talking of the food and drink awards - The Modern won restaurant of the year - great bar and restaurant in a unique setting: the top two floors of the Urbis museum. I've eaten there 3 or 4 times recently - very nice.

Oh and Apotheca in the Northen Quarter won bar of the year - I've been a couple of times - very good.

Obsidian has been refurbished - I liked it before - new chef, haven't seen any reviews, but certainly a great bar and restaurant setting.

Evuna is a great Spanish place. Luso an excellent Portuguese (influenced) restaurant. Lounge 10 - nice, intimate and romantic. I like Grill on the Alley for good steak and seafood - great Sunday lunch there last week.

For other things to do, it depends what you're into - big wheel, museums, galleries, shopping, indoor ski slope - that covers most things in the city centre and Salford Quays.

Hope that helps!

Pete

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
632 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Weekend in Manchester

the northern quarter restaurant is very nice. my missus loves it.

if it's a nice dry day, a stroll around castlefield is very pleasant.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Weekend in Manchester

Just got back from a lovely weekend in Manchester, we go and stay over about four times a year.

This time we took in the Spa at the Mcdonald Hotel where you are staying, I'd highly recommend it, we both had massages and my wife had a facial and manicure whilst I enjoyed the gym and the thermal suite. The staff are lovely and a credit to the hotel, particularly Steph.

We ate at Linen restaurant which was excellent and very reasonably priced, the pre dinner cocktails were very good indeed as well, although Obsidian restaurant beneath the Arora Hotel on Princess St was even better on a previous visit.

Take in the views from Cloud 23 bar in the Hilton Hotel on Deansgate, drinks are pricey but the view is fabulous.

Have a great time.

6. Re: Romantic Weekend in Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2010, 05:35