We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with nice bars / cocktail bars / food please

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
90 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Help with nice bars / cocktail bars / food please

Hiya

I'm staying at the Crowne Plaza hotel on Sat night with my boyfriend for his birthday.

We had planned to go to the Comedy Store for the night but we've left it too late to book and everywhere is fully booked!

So, any ideas where is good for nice bars that do cocktails or somewhere a bit different to go for the night? Somewhere not too expensive but understand bars in cities are more expensive than where I live! I know Manchester best for shopping rather than bars etc... and would prefer places near our hotel really.

I'm thinking of going to the Printworks for something to eat first and then onto some bars. We're not into clubs as such but somewhere with a good atmosphere would be nice.

Hope you can help - thanks everyone :-)

Edited: 23 February 2010, 17:00
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with nice bars / cocktail bars / food please

Hi,

Printworks is certainly handy for your hotel. Lots of chain restaurants and bars in there. Places like Nandos, which is great (if you like chicken!) and I don't believe you can book there, it's just turn up and wait for a table (or turn up, get a wait time and go to one of the bars next door and have a drink whilst you wait.

You're also handy for the Northern Quarter. I recommend here over the Printworks.

Lots of good bars. Best for cocktails would be Socio Rehab. Tons of others: Bluu, Odd, Troff, Walrus (dancing/dj at the weekends as well, but not a club), Lamars, Cord, Apotheca.

Also good restaurants in the NQ - restaurant at Bluu is good, good food at Walrus too, Northern Quarter restaurant, been meaning the try Ning (Malaysian) for ages, Dough Pizza Kitchen.

www.manchesterbars.com/top10.htm - you'll see the top 10 bars here - first 7 are northern quarter bars.

Hope that helps.

Pete

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
632 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with nice bars / cocktail bars / food please

can definitely vouch for ning and the northern quarter restaurants.

now then, what do you mean by nice? you see for printworks read stags from burnley and hens from doncaster. the northern quarter (area) has a cooler vibe, especially on a friday. just in front of the main printworks entrance, under the bbc screen in exchange square, there's zinc bar and grill. that's possibly what you may mean by nice. otherwise i'd guess you'd like walrus, bluu, lamarrs etc., as suggested above. further afield, there's panacea on st.john street and cloud 23 at the hilton hotel, but both expensive. you may also like bijou (aka 'fernando's' from 'take me out') on chapel street in the arches at the men arena end of deansgate. never been, but he's a link.

http://www.bijouclub.co.uk/main.php

i was going suggest the frog and bucket for comedy (i prefer it to the comedy store) but that's sold out too. as is the opus comedy lounge in the printworks.

anyway, have a good night.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuengirola
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with nice bars / cocktail bars / food please

Hi

Call piccolinos for a meal and lovely cocktails and very nice wines, there food is amazing, and atomosphere is great....ettore is a brilliant maitre de and will look after you...http://www.piccolinorestaurants.co.uk/manchester.php

Or head to deansgate and have cocktails 1st in prohibtion, then maybe go for a meal at Bem brazil off deansgate further up, they also do cocktails..

www.bembrasilrestaurants.com/deansgate.asp

Enjoy Im in Manchester on saturday shopping and lunching with my partner...

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuengirola
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with nice bars / cocktail bars / food please

bijou (aka 'fernando's' from 'take me out') NO LIKEY NO LIGHTY...yeh I have been its a nice bar, and is not called fernandos.... used to be cocoa rooms...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with nice bars / cocktail bars / food please

Not far from the Printworks along Deansgate is The Living Room(still get 1 or 2 celebs in there) and jst further along is Label bar and restaraunt(slow service but the food is good and worth the wait)

Manchester
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with nice bars / cocktail bars / food please

Some good suggestions up there, and if you want something that feels different and properly Mancunian then The Northern Quarter would be the place for you - your hotel literally backs onto it.

Apotheca, Socio Rehab etc all do decent cocktails but if you take your mixology seriously and want something special and a slightly more refined atmosphere then head further afield.

The bar at The Modern does some of the best cocktails in town (and has a view to boot) and is nice and relaxed and not to packed, but otherwise I think the list at Obsidian on Princess St (underneath the Arora hotel) is possibly the best in town.

Also, be aware of the pricing. In the same way you can get a steak dinner at some restaurants for under a fiver you can also find places knocking out cocktails at £3 a pop but that doesn't mean they''re good - there's a difference between cheap and good value.

You'll pay £6-£7 for a decent cocktail, maybe less for some of the basics, and more for anything with champagne or prestige spirits. With the right guy/girl behind the bar it's well worth the spend for a drink you can savour.

Oh, and dont forget Corridor just off Chapel St (two minutes walk from Deansgate/The Living Room etc). It's a hidden away place (tucked down a non-descript back-alley) with a New York speakeasy vibe but the cocktails are great, as is the crowd and the music, and it stays open till about 5am on the weekend which is just briliant.

Enjoy your time in the city and please PLEASE venture beyond the Printworks!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with nice bars / cocktail bars / food please

if you fancy something different illusion magic bar has just opened in the printworks - the magicians were pretty good and very entertaining!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
589 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with nice bars / cocktail bars / food please

"...Enjoy your time in the city and please PLEASE venture beyond the Printworks!..."

I agree wholeheartedly with Thom's quote above. We've got a great city so don't stick with the mediocre corporate/chain pubs and eateries.

Unknown
Level Contributor
502 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with nice bars / cocktail bars / food please

im not a fan of Printworks (see my Nando's review!) . My fave places are Chinatown and Curry Mile!

PS So Fernando's doesn't actually exist?! No likey!

Cheltenham
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with nice bars / cocktail bars / food please

I agree with Illusions Magic Bar in the Printworks, Comedy Magic and Live music and it is free entry... The prices of drinks are good value, and the atmosphere is really nice.