We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel recommendation for 1 night

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
preston
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
hotel recommendation for 1 night

I will be landing Manchester from US on 7/29. As journey can be very tiring all I want to for first day is find hotel for one night and then make way to Preston.Can anyone recommend hotel near airport or short taxi ride away? I am non-smoker and would look to pay no more than $100 per night. thanks.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel recommendation for 1 night

Get your dates and currency right first ;)

There are several hotels at the airport: Bewley's, Radisson, Hilton, Crowne Plaza. All either walkable or have shuttle buses. You should be able to get at least one of those for £75 or less.

From the airport you can take a train directly to Preston:

www.nationalrail.co.uk

The journey will take about an hour

Hope that helps.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
311 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel recommendation for 1 night

Your call, but with the station slap bang in the middle of Manchester airport, and Preston about an hour away by train (and there are direct trains), I wonder why you'd want to stay in an hotel. Flight inbound from USA will land somewhere between early morning (say 0600) to late morning (say 1100); so you could be in Preston before check-in at the hotel opens...but it's your life, your money, your call...

Unknown
Level Contributor
502 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel recommendation for 1 night

I like most of MAN's hotels but pls stay away from Britannia, they are crime ridden and dirty. The Novotels are lovely, I like Novotel Manchester West, as you are coming in July, you can maybe use the outdoor pool if you're lucky! Check out my review.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel recommendation for 1 night

I have to agree with wrrlw - your US flight will land at Manchester in the morning and will probably be too early for you to check into a hotel. (check in is usually about 3pm). Hanging round the airport until check in time will be really tedious. So definitely advise getting the train from the airport to Preston.

There are 2 trains per hour. You can book it in advance but that ties you to using a particular train time. For the small amount of money involved, I'd just turn up and buy my ticket on the day. Walk up fare is about £12.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel recommendation for 1 night

This person might be getting a connecting flight from Heathrow or Paris or something.

If you want to come to the city centre then the City Inn is right next to the main train station (Picadilly). Most trains also stop at Oxford Road station and there's a Premier Inn (the one on Portland Street) that's a very good budget one next to some good bars and just down from Chinatown.

Oh - and don't worry. All hotels (and pubs, restaurants etc) are non-smoking and the ban is very well observed so you shouldn't get a smelly room.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel recommendation for 1 night

I would get the train to Preston. The Preston International is a new hotel in town have heard good reports about it.

legacy-hotels.co.uk/legacy-preston/home.asp

The Legacy Preston International Hotel - Preston

Tel: 0844 411 9028 Fax: 0844 411 9029

But if you are opting for staying by the airport then the Radisson is linked by walkway and I am fairly sure they operate 24hr check in. There is no point in going into Manchester finding a hotel then having to get back to the station to continue your journey, when you can get a standard double room for £85. Unfortunately as you are getting in early then you would probably end up having to book 2 nights.

www.radissonblu.co.uk/hotel-manchesterairport

sales.manchester@radissonsas.com

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
311 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel recommendation for 1 night

Having read one of the OP's other recent posts, I note that his circumstances might be a bit special. If so, then the closest / easiest to access hotel is the Radisson, which is accessible by elevated covered walkway from T1/T3 and T2, and has a direct link into the station. I'd check the rates on that first. Bewley's comes highly recommended by other posters (I havent stayed there myself), but it isn't quite as easy to get to (but not that hard, either).

8. Re: hotel recommendation for 1 night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 05:17