We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for a day Manchester, Chester, or Liverpool

Midwest
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Where to go for a day Manchester, Chester, or Liverpool

I am traveling with my partner and another couple to Manchester. We will be there for 2 days, one day will be spent at a man u game. Then we are off to explore the rest of England. Would like to know if we should explore Manchester, Chester, or Liverpool? Which one offers the best siteseeing, restaurants, nightlife?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for a day Manchester, Chester, or Liverpool

Chester - historic walled city, good shops and restaurants. Small in comparison to Manchester and Liverpool.

Manchester and Liverpool both offer 100s of bars, restaurants, clubs and shops. Rich histories - both have great museums and buildings. Mancheter usually has an open top sightseeing bus running in the summer, I would guess that Liverpool has the same (maybe Chester as well).

As you're at the match, maybe base youself in Manchester and then visit Chester and/or Liverpool - both are less than an hour away on the train.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for a day Manchester, Chester, or Liverpool

They are three very different places. As already said, Chester is oozing history and is very quaint. If you would like to see an old Roman, medieval and Victorian city, then it is the place to go.

If you prefer somewhere with more museums, galleries and shops, then Liverpool and Manchester would be better.

I am probably biased, but my vote out of the two would be Liverpool - it has a different atmosphere to other English cities, some great Georgian and Victorian architecture (the blueprint for the sky scrapers in New York was developed in Liverpool - Oriel Chambers and the Liver Buildings being the first of their kind) and it's location on the river is second to none. There is the Tate Gallery and the Maritime Museum (with the International Slavery Museum within it) in the Albert Dock, as well as the Walker Art Gallery and Liverpool Museum near St Georges Hall. The Williamson Tunnels are also worth a visit.

If you fancied a trip on the underground to Waterloo or Crosby, you can see the Anthony Gormley statues "Another Place". This is an amazing display of public art which stretches for 3km along the beach between Waterloo and Crosby - very straneg and atmospheric, and great views of the Mersey estuary. If you do this, check the time of the tides before you go, or you won;t see anything!

Liverpool also probably has better city centre shopping than Manchester, with the Liverpool One shops and the independent shops on Bold St and (one side of) Renshaw St.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,331 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for a day Manchester, Chester, or Liverpool

Rail travel in the UK is not cheap so take this into account also if you are looking at a daytrip on a Sunday after a Saturday match then Sunday timetables have to be considered. if you are considering Chester could I also put York into the mix, 1 1/2 hrs on Transpennine Express from Manchester Picadilly. Manchester has many good restaurants, plenty of shows and nightlife for after the Match but if you are off out the following day you might want to take it easy.

http://www.manchesterad.com/

ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/planjourney/query

http://www.tpexpress.co.uk/

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
635 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go for a day Manchester, Chester, or Liverpool

sorry macfarrag, you may have the waterfront and three graces, and more listed buildings but liverpool definitely does NOT have better shopping (or nighlife) than mcr. that's a fact.

back to the original post. seeing as though you will be in manchester for a match, you may as well visit chester and liverpool the next day. that way you can say you've been to all three. just make sure you're up early.

Edited: 24 March 2010, 13:27
Unknown
Level Contributor
502 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go for a day Manchester, Chester, or Liverpool

I've not been to Chester but I love MAN and LPL equally! MAN for eating and shopping, LPL for the beautiful waterfront!

6. Re: Where to go for a day Manchester, Chester, or Liverpool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 06:17