We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

romantic night away with wife

Dublin
13 posts
Save Topic
romantic night away with wife

Hi, just booked flights from Dublin for a night away on Sat 29th May and was looking for some ideas on a nice hotel(budget under 200 pounds) central location and a nice place for dinner(we like all types of food, a cool setting might be nice). It'll be our first night away alone from our little daughter so i want to make in memorable!!

We arrive early on Sat morning so suggestions for daytime browsing would be appreciated ie markets, second hand clothes stores being her favourites..

She's pregnant with our second and this is a surprise so appreciate any ideas........

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: romantic night away with wife

Hi,

Under £200 for one night should give you the pick of any hotel in Manchester.

5* are the Lowry and Radisson Edwardian.

I'd also recommend the Great John Street hotel (I think this best fits for romance).

The Midland, Malmaison, City Inn, Abode and Hilton are also worth considering.

Restaurants: Luso, Lounge 10, The Modern (cool setting at the top of the Urbis building), Northern Quarter Restaurant, Albert's Shed, Choice.

Only second hand (vintage) shop I know of is www.rags-to-bitches.co.uk/ it's in the Northern Quarter, this is where you're most likely find other similar places.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: romantic night away with wife

Good choices by retep68

I have stayed at Macdonald close to Picadilly station - recommended

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
637 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: romantic night away with wife

velvet hotel might be an option. or the roomz apartments. only potential pitfall with velvet is that it's on canal street and, if the weather is good, it can be pretty noisy at night.

can definitely second most of retep68's restaurant suggestions. my missus loves the nothern quarter restaurant, in particular.

there are a fair few vintage clothing shops in the northern quarter, and don't forget there's affleck's palace!

Edited: 22 April 2010, 21:52
UK
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: romantic night away with wife

The northern quarter is best for second hand shops, try rags to bitches on tib street, retro rehab on oldham street and afflecks palace (especially the top floor). There isn't really a market in manchester but the craft centre is a really cool place to have a nosey around http://www.craftanddesign.com/

Dublin
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: romantic night away with wife

Thanks guys for all the recomendations.

Just booked a suite in Radisson for 240 euro which looks amazing.

Will be heading to Afflecks for a browse durring the day then dinner at The Modern to finish off the night.

Any ideas on a nice to see the city ie Bus or Boat tour would be appreciated ???

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
637 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: romantic night away with wife

unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a sightseeing bus this year.

you could take a trip to liverpool along the ship canal. at £36, it's a bit pricey though.

merseyferries.co.uk/manchester-scc/index.aspx

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: romantic night away with wife

Radisson is a great choice - I think it is a lovely hotel

8. Re: romantic night away with wife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 07:30