We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far from Old Trafford Cricket Club to central Manchester

Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
How far from Old Trafford Cricket Club to central Manchester

Going to see Muse at Old Trafford Cricket Club in Sept and trying to find the right hotel to stay in.

If we book somewhere right in the city centre how easy will it be to get out to Old Trafford and back? Is there any public transport?

Can anyone recommend anywhere suitable to stay?

Thanks for your help

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far from Old Trafford Cricket Club to central Manchester

Hi,

There is a tram stop (Old Trafford) right next to the cricket ground. I'd recommend using this to get there (5-10 minutes from the city centre on the Altrincham line).

It will be very busy after the concert, so either be prepared for a bit of a wait for a tram or bus, or maybe walk back. About 20-30 mins to get back to the city centre on foot.

Any city centre hotel would be fine, but ones that are on the side of town closest to the cricket ground are:

Jury's Inn

Premier Inn (G-Mex)

The Midland

The Hilton (Beetham Tower)

Great John Street

Radisson Edwardian

Castlefield Hotel

Maybe consider a serviced apartment for the weekend. Many agencies have apartments in the Castlefield area which is handy for the cricket ground - anything in Timber Wharf, MoHo, The Box Works, St. Georges Island, Burton Place would all be good choices.

Finally, there are a few hotels in the Old Trafford (football) and Salford Quays area - this is a 10-20 minute walk from the cricket ground:

Premier Inn

Etap

Ramada

Holiday Inn Express

Hope that helps.

Pete

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far from Old Trafford Cricket Club to central Manchester

From city centre to OTCC it's very easy via tram on the Altrincham line. Getting back is more of a challenge as (of course) everyone will be leaving at the same time when the concert ends. Trams will be very crowded. Many people instead walk back to centre from concerts - about 2.5 miles to the centre.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far from Old Trafford Cricket Club to central Manchester

I agree

I like www.laterooms.com - see what pops up!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far from Old Trafford Cricket Club to central Manchester

Brilliant info everyone

Many Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far from Old Trafford Cricket Club to central Manchester

The closest hotel is the one in the cricket ground itself.

http://www.lccc.co.uk/otl.php

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far from Old Trafford Cricket Club to central Manchester

I doubt there would be availability at the cricket ground hotel on the night of the concert. If there was, I assume the price would be high.

Edited: 22 May 2010, 21:10
Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far from Old Trafford Cricket Club to central Manchester

Could I suggest going in the opposite direction (towards Altrincham) and stay at the Lennox Lea Hotel in Sale (check out the reviews of the hotel on the TA site). We spent the recent Bank holiday weekend at this hotel and were impressed. Sale tram stop is only around 3 stops away from the cricket ground and it may be easier to get on a tram going in the opposite direction from the city centre.

8. Re: How far from Old Trafford Cricket Club to central Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Manchester