We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change for road tolls

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Change for road tolls

Hello,

Does anyone know if the Currency Exchange at the airport will give coins in exchange for notes? We're coming with British pounds, of course, but we'd like to get change right away for any road tolls we may encounter on our trip. Or should we just go to a shop in the airport and make a purchase to start to collect coins?

I've already tried to contact the Currency Exchange office, but no response.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change for road tolls

What toll roads? We have only 1 toll motorway (M6 toll road) and very few people use it. We do have a few toll bridges and tunnels but all will give change.

ian480.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change for road tolls

Hi,

I can only think of one toll road in the UK - the M6 toll that bypasses Birmingham - you could use this if you're heading south or north on the M6 past Birmingham. You can still stay on the busier M6 and not pay a toll though. If you do end up on the M6 toll road there are always manned toll booths where you can get change.

Apart from that there are few tunnels and bridges that have a toll - mersey river tunnels in/out of Liverpool, severn river bridge crossings in/out of Wales.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change for road tolls

Thanks for your help. We will be using the tunnels in and out of Liverpool, so it's good to know that they'll all give change.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Change for road tolls

The Mersey Tunnel costs £1.40 each way for a car. You pay on the Wirral side (opposite side to Liverpool). If you have the correct money you drive to a toll that has automatic above it and if you need change you go to one that says manned (I think). I came through this afternoon but can't remember as I only use the automatic ones.

If you're sightseeing in Liverpool it'd probably be easier and cheaper (no parking costs) to either come through by bus or train on a day ticket or come over on the ferry. There are different area day tickets covering the whole of the Merseytravel area.

Edited: 20 June 2010, 20:04
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change for road tolls

Thank you, Gibel. Very helpful!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Change for road tolls

Where you would be going in order to use the Mersey Tunnels from Manchester Airport?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change for road tolls

Long story! not worth sharing

8. Re: Change for road tolls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 06:17