We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant near to McDonald hotel

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
591 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant near to McDonald hotel

We are booked into here for one evening soon for our anniversary and looking for where to go for dinner, not been to Manchester before. Not sure if we should dine in the hotel or somewhere withing walking distance. Are either Obsidian or Red Chilli within walking distance or where else would you recommend? Thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant near to McDonald hotel

hi again lat,

Saw you had switched from Lancaster - the McDonald is very smart, very close to where I work in Manchester. Looks a bit odd, but that's because it used to be offices. Very handy for Canal Street where you can sit canalside for a drink if the weather is nice.

As for eating, I wouldn't bother with Red Chilli - the food is OK but nothing special, and the service is a bit brisk. There are better choices in Chinatown- I have never had a bad meal at the Little Yang Sing.

Obsidian is pretty good , but not as good as it was.

My pick would be Michael Caines at ABode which is not far from you on Piccadilly as you walk towards town. The food is something really special, yet not stuffy, and is tipped as Manchester's best hope of a Michelin star. It deservedly topped the Restaurants of Manchester June 2010 poll:

www.restaurantsofmanchester.com/top10.htm

The list gives you an idea of the range on offer. I also like Grado, just the other side of Piccadilly Gardens for you. Malmaison Brasserie is even closer to your hotel and on its day, is really good and the decor is great.

Have a great stay!

UK
Level Contributor
591 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant near to McDonald hotel

Hi Liz, many thanks for your reply. I had wanted Abode but is fully booked the evening we are there. Will have a look at the others you mentioned - and will report back once we have been.

Many thanks again - much appreciated!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant near to McDonald hotel

I have to disagree...Little Yang SIng is prettygood but nowehere near the standard of Red Chilli.

Red Chilli is very different and you you have to be quite adventurous to get the good stuff. Yes, the service isn't the best but I think the whole experience beats almost anywhere else in Manchester.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant near to McDonald hotel

Hi LAT10258 -

I also recommend Abode for something special like an anniversary. You say it is fully booked for the evening you want - but it might not be so.

I had the same problem for a special evening meal on a special date - and the internet showed it as fully booked. I phoned them up and they told me there were tables available at exactly the date and time I wanted. They told me that they put only some of their tables for internet bookings.

I suggest you phone them and explain why it's a special do and see if they can help. Not only is it very good, it's on the right side of the centre just a reasonably short walk from your hotel.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant near to McDonald hotel

I also agree with the Red Chilli recommendations

Also I have stayed in the Macdonald - its very good

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
632 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant near to McDonald hotel

red chilli is good! about a twenty minute walk from the hotel. it won't seem like it though. my most recent restaurant visit was rosso, italian cuisine and part owned by rio ferdinand ( didn't even put me off as roberto mancini is a regular). my missus had the rossini steak and reckons it was the best she's ever had - right up there with gaucho's, another place to consider.

UK
Level Contributor
591 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant near to McDonald hotel

Thank you to you all for the suggestions. We were in Manchester last night and decided to have dinner at Obsidian - and sooooo pleased we did. It was just what we were looking for - excellent food, fantastic value and very good service. Just loved it.

Will just need to go back to Manchester again so we can try the other recommendations.

8. Re: Restaurant near to McDonald hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Manchester