We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas - Manchester

Ireland
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas - Manchester

hi,

Thinking about going Manchester on 9th of December for 3 nights, i'd like to stay somewhere resonable but central, also what are the Christmas markets like there? Where are they?

thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas - Manchester

This link should help you with the locations and dates for Christmas markets in Manchester:

manchester.gov.uk/info/…christmas_market_2010

Friends have said the Xmas markets in Leeds (just over an hour by train) are excellent, too.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas - Manchester

Hi,

Ibis, Travelodge, Premier Inn(s), Jury's Inn, Castlefield hotel - all reasonable, decent and central hotels.

Christmas markets are pretty big and have spread across the city centre - Albert Square, St. Annes Square, Brazenose St, New Catherdral Street, Piccadilly Gardens(I think).

The main area being Albert Sqaure though - in front of the town hall.

The Manchester City council website has info about the Christmas markets.

Oh and I think there's going to be an ice rink at Spinningfields (maybe Xmas market stuff there too).

Hope that helps

Pete

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas - Manchester

I really like the markets they add to the xmas atmosphere I think

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas - Manchester

Hi

Manchester has numerous hotels from Travel Lodge, Premier Inn and B&Bs to the Big five Star Giants Hilton, Radison and The Midland all central.

The Christmas Markets are Albert Sq, St Anns Sq and spread throught the centre. Great Time of Year to visits as even Manchester looks good with the Christmas Lights on.

If you need any further just ask

Dave

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,751 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas - Manchester

The Xmas markets are excellent, open all day and evening, well worth a visit. You are likely to find them extremely busy on the Fri evening and all day & evening on Saturday.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
635 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas - Manchester

everybody here loves the christmas markets - mainly for the food and booze!

as already mentioned, weekends are especially busy.

this is what is happening in piccadilly gardens:

"Piccadilly is set to become home to an antique Victorian fun fair this festive season, as part of wider city centre plans to celebrate Christmas.

The fair will be in place from 08 December 2010 until 03 January 2011 (excluding Christmas Day) in Piccadilly Gardens and will include an number of attractive, family-friendly rides that will be both affordable and welcoming.

Other festive plans include carol singing, childrens' activities and food stalls with a seating area in Piccadilly Gardens."

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuengirola
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas - Manchester

Agree with Bagg, our markerts are amazing, the atomosphere is brilliant, hogg roast sandwich with a mulled wine on a saturday afternoon, is my fave thing to do at xmas in manchester, I also like sitting outside slug and lettuce albert square, as its directly opposite the xmas markets town hall, and the big santa is in view. nice to people watch although you have to wrap up, drinking a gass of wine or sipping on a hot choc watchin everyone walking about is ace..

8. Re: Christmas - Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2011, 05:15