We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester for New Year's Eve

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
24 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester for New Year's Eve

I'm just after booking flights to Manchester and I've booked the Crowne Plaza for 4 nights over new years. I've heard Manchester is good fun at that time of year!

Can anyone recommend some things to do on New Year's Eve? I've heard that there are fireworks....is there anything else going on over those few days that we should take note of? When are the sales starting (we're leaving on the 2nd of January). Are there any restaurants that you would recommend for NYE? I've looked at some of the reviews on tripadvisor- but I know some places have something special (or arent' open!) on NYE so I want to book dinner for the 4 nights now :)

Thanks in advance,

Anne Marie

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester for New Year's Eve

well i live 20 mins away from manchester city, and we go every new years eve, we are stayin at our regluar haunt premier inn gmex, we are booked in at piccolinos for a meal, but we normally just go in waterhouse for a few drinks before...i personally im too old for the clubbin lark, but most bars/clubs will be charging so...it depends what u want...there will be fireworks at night near the big wheel..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester for New Year's Eve

Sales start boxing day....(jan sales)

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
647 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester for New Year's Eve

apart from new years eve, i don't think you'll have trouble just turning up at most restaurants. the link below will help, but ones i've been to within the past year or so and can recommend include: chaophraya, thomas, nothern quarter restaurant, bem brasil, gaucho grill, rosso, try thai, don marco, el rincon and croma. if you like curry, take a bus (or a taxi) to rusholme aka 'the curry mile'. if you do go, then i'd try darbar or spicy hut.

to be honest, best time to visit mcr is now, whilst the christmas markets are on.

http://www.restaurantsofmanchester.com/

Manchester
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester for New Year's Eve

I love manchester on new years eve. The Northern Quarter is good for a mix of bars and traditional style pubs, the northern and the castle hotel are my favourites, not sure if they are charging or not though.

This year we have bought tickets for a night called Funkademia, its pretty well known in manchester if you google it.

We are eating this year at Wings in the city centre. But my favourite place to eat is definately lounge 10 if you are looking for something a bit special. I also like Stock which is in the city centre.

Edited: 06 December 2010, 10:44
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester for New Year's Eve

you wont get in el rincons on nye,its booked well in advance...i go in there alot and tried to book for NYE 6 months ago..full already...

We are goin piccolinos clarence st...fab atmosphere...mad waiters..and really a belting night...5 pound deposit per person,,and deducted of the bill on the night...we go every NYE..I love manchester on NYE...mind you we are booked in premier inn gmex..where we always go...no hassle of getting a taxi home and double fares..

Manchester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester for New Year's Eve

Check out my recommendation on another thread re Malmaisson the same applies for NYE.

The gay center is rocking nye ..........(i'm not gay)..............(not that theirs anything wrong with that)

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
803 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester for New Year's Eve

We visit Manchester 3 or 4 times during the year on a Saturday for a few beers and a chinese but this will be our first NYE experience.

We are staying at the Camponile (Salford) and have booked into an italian restaurant (the Olive Press) for a change-it gets some mixed reviews but I guess you pays your money and takes your chance!

In reply to the OP, there are plenty of nice pubs in and around the city centre and if you like real ale you can't go wrong as there are 3 Wetherspoons (that I know about) all within about 10-15 mins walk of each other but plenty of other pubs serve real ale as well.

The popular Oyster bar is not far from the big wheel where the fireworks are but I don't know if they will be charging for entry or not.

It's a great city and I'm sure you will enjoy yourselves what ever you end up doing.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Salford
Salford
Greater Manchester, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester for New Year's Eve

I thought the fireworks are at the town hall?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester for New Year's Eve

LMV are the fireworks at the town hall this year??they were at the triangle the other year..il find out..cos we are staying and eating near the town hall so that will save us walking upto the printworks area, we are goin on the wheel once we have unpacked and for a few afternoon drinkies...then back to the hotel to chill out then dtart gettin ready..cant wait..i prefer new years eve to xmas..its been a boring xmas again this year...bring on nye..:O)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester for New Year's Eve

here you go..

The fireworks display is gunna be held at quay house..and around the spinnifield area...:O)

menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/…