We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Manchester

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip to Manchester

I'll be in London from Jan. 4th to the 8th. I;m considering doing a day trip to Manchester.

My main motivation is to visit the Hard Rock Cafe (I have a collection of pins from that restaurant), but that would only take about 1 hour. What else could I see in Manchester? Is there a sightseeing bus I can take? Is there enough to do in the HRC area?

Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Manchester

<<My main motivation is to visit the Hard Rock Cafe>>

Are you serious? Why not go the the one in London?

No sightseeing bus. Manchester is compact and easy enough to walk around and plenty of shopping and shopping centres but that hardly differentiates it from London. I suspect even people who love manchester wouldn't recommend a one day visit just to end up visiting the same sort of shops you'd find in London.

This is without considering what you are likely to miss in London, and if you ignore your arrival and departure dates you will spend 1 out of your only 3 days, out of London, where 33 days wouldn't cover everything.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Manchester

Thanks for the reply.

I'll go to the one in London as well. I usually travel only over the weekend, so I'm used to trying to cram as much as possible into a couple of days. I was planning on using 2 and a half days for London, and go to Manchester on the 7th.

I haven't made a final decision, but based on what I've read about Manchester, I don't think I'll schedule a whole weekend trip there, and that's why I wanted to do it now that I'll be in the 'neighborhood'.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Manchester

Depends on your interests.

Museums and Galleries - Museum of Science and Industry, City Art Gallery, The Lowry, Imerpial War Museum North, Manchester United Museum and ground tour (the latter 3 being a short tram ride away to the Salford Quays area).

Near the HRC is the big wheel, HRC is part of the Printworks a large converted old building with an indoor street - but mainly just housing bars and restaurants - there's a large cinema there, including an iMax screen.

Wandering around the city centre to appreciate the buildings (old and new) and generally getting a 'feel' for the place, stopping for an occassional drink and bite to eat is the sort of thing I enjoy when visiting other cities - this would certainly pass a few hours.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
640 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Manchester

as above, we're not really a sightseeing city. manchester is more a 'vibe' kinda place. a great place for people from smaller towns and cities to come for a day or night out for shopping / shows / clubs / gigs / football/ drinking etc. i don't necessarily pick city breaks for their historical or architectural interest - just the opposite sometimes - to see how people live and take in the lifestyle. always worth popping your head 'round the door, i'd say.

5. Re: Day trip to Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2011, 05:17