We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More on New Year's Eve Please!

lancashire
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
More on New Year's Eve Please!

Hi - I've read the earlier posts about NYE in Manchester and just wondered what the atmosphere in the streets is like. Is it worth coming into Manchester to see the fireworks near the wheel? Are there street vendors selling food/drinks, a bit like the Christmas markets?

I don't want to travel in to pay to get into pubs, we can do that at home, so was hoping there'd be a countdown to the new year etc.

Thanks

Manchester
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More on New Year's Eve Please!

the fireworks event last year was fairly low key (although the fireworks were good) and there was very little (if any) stalls selling food/drink in fact I think the area where people congregated to watch the fireworks was alcohol free (there were event security people patrolling). There is certainly nothing on the scale of the xmas market going on.

lancashire
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More on New Year's Eve Please!

Thanks for replying. I wonder why there isn't some kind of event in front of the Town Hall tho'? Not on the scale of Trafalgar Square obviously, but a city like Manchester could stage a countdown....

Anyway, you've saved us a possibly disappointing trip, so cheers for that!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More on New Year's Eve Please!

I think about ten years ago it got more than a bit unruly and a few idiots caused a lot of damage and paramedics had to be called because of all the people jumping in and out of the fountains catching hypothermia.

After that the council blocked off all the fountains (I think they still do) and stopped all the fireworks.

It was also around this time that clubs and even pubs started to charge silly entrance prices and the taxis and cab companies doubled their prices.

As a result most people tended to stay in local pubs or at house parties and I think that trend has tended to continue.

I'm sure that places will be open but Manchester doesn't have a good reputation for NYE at all. I believe that the gay village is still a good spot.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More on New Year's Eve Please!

Ive today found out that slug and lettuce opposite the town hall is FREE entry. Thats where I will be.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuengirola
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More on New Year's Eve Please!

LMV SO ARE WE....:o0

Im staying at premier inn gmex now manchester central, save us getting taxis back to sale, then we go into waterhouse weatherspoons, then maybe slug, then to our fab meal in piccolinos have done this every year,and are there till past midnight,the fireworks were ok the last couple of years there is no booze allowed as stated...we are normally back in our room about 1pm...im normally too drunk and too cold from stumbling around town back to hotel and want to get in bed and sleep...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More on New Year's Eve Please!

thinking of doing piccilinos if we can get in - only ever eaten there once but was very good. Would be ideal if we then go to Slug and Lettuce.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuengirola
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More on New Year's Eve Please!

yeh you will have to book in piccolinos, we are booked already

8. Re: More on New Year's Eve Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2011, 05:17