We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Smithfield Hotel, Northern Quarter,Manchester

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
argyll, scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
The Smithfield Hotel, Northern Quarter,Manchester

Hi

Group of us heading down to Manchester for weekend - we are looking at The Smithfield Hotel as it has great rates - does anyone know what the accommodation is like there? Not looking for luxury at that price but as long as its clean? Any advice?

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Smithfield Hotel, Northern Quarter,Manchester

I've only been to it as a pub and - to be honest - wasn't that impressed. Very good beer selection though and was taken in by a friend who is a real ale kind of a guy.

It's in the 'less good' part of the Northern Quarter which isn't rough but is a bit scruffy and rundown.

Hav eno idea about the rooms and they could be great but it is known as an old-mans pub and I didn't even know they had hotel rooms to let.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Smithfield Hotel, Northern Quarter,Manchester

how much are the rooms?

argyll, scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Smithfield Hotel, Northern Quarter,Manchester

Thanks for posts - the cost is 20 quid each so cannot complain about that but just wondered about place and area?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Smithfield Hotel, Northern Quarter,Manchester

for how many people? That does seem cheap but bear in mind you get what you pay for.

Must admit never heard of this place - I have had bad experiences of "rooms in pubs"!

I like laterooms.com to compare prices

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
632 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Smithfield Hotel, Northern Quarter,Manchester

the pub/hotel is right on the cusp of the city centre, but on a main road so it's pretty safe. i wouldn't have thought it was the type of place that a group of girls would want to stay at though. it's like a very blokey pub! it's about a five minute walk to what is really thought of as the northern quarter.

argyll, scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Smithfield Hotel, Northern Quarter,Manchester

There are four of us so perhaps safety in numbers! Thanks for all your posts - will let you know how it goes!

GREENOCK
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: The Smithfield Hotel, Northern Quarter,Manchester

Hi how did you get on at The Smithfield Hotel?

We are heading down at the weekend & staying there am a bit unsure?!

United Kingdom
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: The Smithfield Hotel, Northern Quarter,Manchester

DO NOT GO HERE! 3rd floor... LICE on the walls, after a day all your clothes stink of damp, blood stained and filthy carpets, no hot water tap on sink (need a screwdriver to operate) - also no en-suite... the shared bathroom was not cleaned once, room not cleaned in two days, the towels were ripped flannels, hole in ceiling over your bed (covered by bubble wrap sellotaped on - badly), light fitting hanging off with exposed wires, mould in chest of drawers. I would not let my dog stay here! Great location though... knock it down and start again!

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Smithfield Hotel, Northern Quarter,Manchester

We went here on my hen do - it was so much fun we loved it , and the standard was unforgettable. Yes it was beyond bad , holes in the roof , damp bedding , flea bites . But no one complained as we laughed from start to finish. The staff were amazing , accommodation is cheap , and crazy memories of that place will stay with us forever. If I could go back and change it to a beige boring hotel , I wouldn't. You do get what you pay for with anything , the Smithfield seems to have a character no other b&b could offer and it's central. Maybe avoid if your going for comfort . But a central place to stay with partying till dawn , it's gotta be the Smithfield . We even got free drinks cos we stayed there.

10. Re: The Smithfield Hotel, Northern Quarter,Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2012, 13:49