We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something to do for a few hrs while in Manchester.

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
719 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Something to do for a few hrs while in Manchester.

We have to go to manchster for a funneral tomrrow we are flying in to manchester at 8.20am in the morning and we are loking for soemthing to do is there a shopping centre near there as we do have to be at the funneral till after 1.30.The funneral is on in 263 Barlowmore rd charlton manchster M21.Is this near the airport and what is the best way of getting there.

Would we be better going in to the city.

also what is the weather like is it like here mild and wet.

Thanks for your help

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
632 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something to do for a few hrs while in Manchester.

there is no shopping centre near the airport. you could get the train into piccadilly (main station) and then catch a bus (from piccadilly gardens - not sure which - you'll need to ask) or taxi to the cemetery. weather is similar, yes.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something to do for a few hrs while in Manchester.

Sounds like the funeral is at Southern Cemetery and Crematorium. It's not far from Manchester airport.

Best way to get there would be a cab. About 15 mins and about £10-15. I'm sure there are buses, but I'm afraid I don't know about the bus routes.

Chorlton centre and nearby Didsbury are busy suburbs of Manchester, but I wouldn't particularly recommend them for shopping to kill a few hours.

The Trafford Centre or the City Centre are the main shopping areas.

Regular trains run from the airport to the City Centre - about 12 an hour - journey takes about 20 mins.

Back out to Chorlton via taxi or bus.

Weather is the same - mild and wet!

Hope that helps.

Edited: 13 January 2011, 13:30
North West England...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Something to do for a few hrs while in Manchester.

Hi,

I think that you would be better catching one of the many trains straight from the airport to Piccadilly Station, in the city centre. The journey takes about 20 minutes with a fare of £3.50 single and £3.60 return.

You'll have no trouble passing the time in the city centre.

A taxi from the city centre to Southern Cemetery would cost you around £12.00, or you could catch a bus from Piccadilly Gardens.

I believe that 2 of the buses that would take you to the cemetery are the numbers 99 and the 104. If in doubt, there is a travel office in the bus station. A day saver on those buses is £3.60.

Good luck and I hope all goes well.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Something to do for a few hrs while in Manchester.

The Southern cemetary is pretty close to the airport.

You could quite easily get a taxi to the Trafford Centre (also on the airport and cemetary side of Manchester) from the airport (black cabs wait at the airport and i'd guess at £15-20). The cafes are open from about 9.00 and the shops all open at 10.00.

There are on-site private hire cabs at the Trafford Centre with cars waiting there so you shouldn't have any delays.

You're only about 10 minutes through Trafford Park or going along the M60 (there are a couple of ways to get to Chorlton) to the cemetary and I'd guess at a cost of about £10-£15.

Depending on whether you go straight back to the airport or if you go to any sort of reception or wake there'd be no problem in getting a private hire car to come to you to take you back.

Hope the day goes OK. And yes, it's wet but quite mild. Not too bad really.

ireland
Level Contributor
719 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something to do for a few hrs while in Manchester.

Thanks for all your help i think we will get the train in to Piccadily for a while for a look around and then get a taxi to the cemetary..

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Something to do for a few hrs while in Manchester.

Hi again,

The area around Piccadilly Station isn't the best shopping area, but a 10 minute walk will get you to the Market Street area where you'll find an abundance of shops.

You mentioned the weather, if it's raining just catch one of the free Metroshuttle buses from the front entrance of Piccadilly Station. The number one (orange) bus will take you to the main shopping area.

The buses are free to use, there's a bus every 5 minutes and if you get off the #1 outside Mark and Spencer you will be in the middle of the shops. The Arndale Centre, with with plenty of indoor shopping, is close by and you will also find plenty of cafes and restaurants to choose from.

There's a taxi rank on the road near to the front of Mark and Spencer.

Good luck!

7. Re: Something to do for a few hrs while in Manchester.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2012, 09:17