We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night for Students

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
One night for Students

I'm an American student studying in the UK, and I'm taking my German boyfriend to Manchester when he comes to visit me in April. Any ideas on inexpensive eats, drinks, and fun for students?

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
464 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night for Students

There are so many inexpensive places to eat and drink. The Footage on Oxford Road is great for cheap drinks and some decent food but this is not the only place. Font Bar just off Oxford Rd near Thirsty Scholar and Grand Central, does food and drinks are reasonable prices, most cocktails £2-3 and the atmosphere here is nice. There are a few other bars along the same street as Font but I cannot comment as I have not visited them in a long time.

The Printworks is also a good place to go, a little more expensive for food but here you will find places from Chinese all you can eat buffet to Hard Rock Cafe. There is also a bar here called Illusions that do 2-4-1 cocktails during the week and they have live entertainment including an illusionist.

If you fancy somewhere more unique and are willing to spend a little more money, try the Northern Quarter. Depending on when you go, most places do offers on cocktails during the week and early evenings.

If you have any more questions just ask, and I hope you enjoy your trip!

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night for Students

Wow, this was so wonderful and helpful! I'll let you know if I think of more questions.

Thanks so much!

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
635 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night for Students

nando's and rice in the quadrangle of oxford road seem popular with students for a reasonably priced scran. odder and the temple (former underground public convenience) are great for drinks (also oxford road).

4. Re: One night for Students

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 March 2011, 09:35
Edited: 05 March 2011, 09:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One night for Students

Hey,

I'd recommend http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/ gave me great tips on where to visit when I visited manchester. Have fun :)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night for Students

The Alibi on the corner of Portland Street and Oxford Road is good - some good drinks deals as well!

Belem do Pará...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night for Students

The Footage is indeed great! Very good to students (mainly those who don't want spend much). I used to go there every wednesday with my friends, since after 9:00pm the pint is only £1 (at least when I left, late last year). Ah, it also has good screens for who is looking forward to watch football matches.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night for Students

There is one pub chain up that part of the country with a £3 discount card I think that offers long term discounts for showing a card, it's the same one as in Loughborough but the name has gone out of my head. I'm afraid but it's aimed at Students from what I remember. Also, Revolution Bars do offer a discount card to, just trying to help as there can be some tricks like this which save money long term.

Do bare in mind I think it's Bella Italia and Cafe Rouge plus Frankie and Bennys do offer student discounts, just look around that's the best thing I can say.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,825 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night for Students

<<There is one pub chain up that part of the country with a £3 discount card I think that offers long term discounts for showing a card>>

Varsity do one. there is one opposite Whitworth Park, near the curry mile, which could also be an interesting and different place for you to go. It's about a mile from the university.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night for Students

varsity is called the alibi now in central manchester

also illusions has closed in the printworks which is a little bit of a shame