We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old style pubs

Belfast
Level Contributor
473 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Old style pubs

Hopefully going to Manchester to see City v Spurs. Never been to Manchester before. Have heard it is great but I am 50 and so are my mates. We like trad/historical pubs. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mick

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old style pubs

Try Britons Protection, Hare & Hounds, Peveril of the Peak - sorry don't know addresses apart from H&H is on Shudehill near the tram interchange

The Knott Bar is an excellent modern pub with a great range of beers and good food (well it had seeral years ago when I went!)

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
635 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old style pubs

first of all, you do realise that this fixture will be mid week now?

anyway, pubs (and i'll just reel them off in the order i think of them) : peveril of the peak, briton protection, lass o gowrie, bulls head (opp piccadilly station), sam's chophouse, mr thomas's chophouse, city arms, vine inn, rising sun, crown & kettle, the castle, the shakespeare (never been in though), the old nag's head, town hall tavern, circus tavern (reputedly the smallest bar area in europe) the crown and anchor, mitre hotel, old wellington, sinclairs oyster bar (the last four are all next to each other, near the big wheel in exchange square).

here's a link to help you find them all:

http://www.manchesterbars.com/location.htm

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old style pubs

Mick

Bagg10 has given a good selection if you indicate where you will be staying we can let you know the nearest ones.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,473 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old style pubs

A recent trip to Manchester leads me to confidently suggest the following crawl of unspoilt pubs :

Sullivans (have some oysters and cheap beer here)

Briton's Protection (eat a pie here)

Peveril of the Peak (unspoilt boozer)

Circus Tavern (Tiny, great atmosphere. Even if you've had 3 pints by now, I guarantee you'll be the most sober person in the place !)

Mike

Belfast
Level Contributor
473 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old style pubs

Thanks for all your help but mid week kick off has blown trip out of the water.

Mick

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old style pubs

Mike ( argyle_mikey )

"Sullivans (have some oysters and cheap beer here) ?"

Lived in Manchester most of my life but cant place it. Can you say where it is to put my mind at rest lol

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,473 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old style pubs

Sorry Maverick, meant Sinclairs - which you will know of course - by the cathedral

beerintheevening.com/pubs/…Manchester

Mike

Manchester
Level Contributor
23 posts
668 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old style pubs

Marble Arch on Rochdale Road for sure.....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old style pubs

Cheers Mike

Yes Sinclairs I do know. Thought I'd missed one Lol

10. Re: Old style pubs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 00:16