We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Oxford Road to Manchester Appollo

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hull
Level Contributor
41 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Oxford Road to Manchester Appollo

Hi im staying at Holiday Inn Express Oxofrd Road this Tuesday & going to see a concert at Mancheser Appollo.

Ive read that it is less than a mile away.

Is is possible to walk? If so what are the directions & how long will it take?

Are we better getting a bus? If so what number & how long will it take?

OR ar we better jumping in a taxi?

Also on Wednesday we are going to Trafford Centre what number bus is the quickest? Ive that the number 250 will be best... Is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Oxford Road to Manchester Appollo

I'd put it at a 20-25 minute walk. You turn right out of your hotel, walk about half a mile along Oxford Road, turn left at Brunswich Street (at the opposite of the main entrance for Manchester University) and then walk another half a mile and you're there.

Oxford Road is very busy and has loads of good pubs and restaurants (my favourite is the original Kro at that Brunswik Street turning) but Brunswick Street is a bit quiet and industrial and then a tiny bit dodgy as you get to the Apollo. Certainly not bad, it's just that that's where the Apollo is.

There will be loads of taxis along Oxford Road and I'd guess at about £5.00 to the Apollo. Coming home you might struggle to get a taxi just because it's always busy. Not sure about busses but my guess is that you'd have to go to the city centre and then back out again, which may take as long as walking - may not be practical.

The 250 is the bus for the Trafford Centre. But, unless you're desperate to go there you should know that, apart from John Lewis, all the shops that are in the Trafford Centre are bigger and better in Manchester city centre. Plus, there are far more independent shops and boutiques and much, much better food and drink options for all budgets. Manchester realy is much better for shopping.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
312 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Oxford Road to Manchester Appollo

I wouldn't walk to / from the Apollo; and the bus service to there isn't great, you have to get over to London Rd (near Piccadilly station) and get a bus for the 5 minute ride down to Ardwick. I'd vote for the taxi option going, and then head back towards Piccadilly by bus/ try to pick up a cab after...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Oxford Road to Manchester Appollo

2 points above which I agree with. Taxi to the Apollo is the best way to get there and the Arndale shopping centre is huge and there is an array of restaraunts and the usual takeawyas.Try the Market Hall inside the centre for alternate places to eat such as the shushi bar

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Oxford Road to Manchester Appollo

Hi

I agree with everyone else get a taxi to the Apollo its safer. Yes you could walk BUT its not in one of the best places.

Oxford Road is great for the number of bars and eating places.

I hate the Trafford Centre BUT my wife loves it enough said :-)

Have a good trip

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
632 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn Oxford Road to Manchester Appollo

never had a problem walking to the apollo myself but a taxi is a good option. deffo no problem walking back as there will be hundreds making their way into town.

6. Re: Holiday Inn Oxford Road to Manchester Appollo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 03:18