We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets to catch Man Utd at Old Trafford

Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Tickets to catch Man Utd at Old Trafford

Hi,

I will like to know when is the earliest that tickets for matches are usually sold? and can tickets be bought online by overseas man united supporters in singapore?

I am looking to come to Manchester from Singapore next year to catch a live EPL match at Old Trafford, say maybe in September, just after the Olympics rush hour. I know it's a bit weird to be asking questions for stuffs that would be happening more than a year later, but i just like to be well prepared. haha.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,848 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets to catch Man Utd at Old Trafford

You go through the Man U website where they announce when tickets are available.

Failing that then you go through a company that offers corporate hospitality or a tour company that offers a package - for example

thomascooksport.com/Football/Premier-League/…

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,906 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets to catch Man Utd at Old Trafford

Tickets for ManU games are first put on sale only to members - and that usually starts six weeks before the date of the game. Members apply and their application goes into a ballot. Quite often the ballot is oversubscribed so a member may or may not get a ticket.

If it's a September game (ie early in the season) you have a better chance than normal of being successful in the ballot, also if it's an evening midweek game. If it's a game against a 'big' team or a Saturday game then the chance is reduced.

As an example (I'm a member) I was successful getting tickets for all my applications until the past couple of months. But I've lost out on the ballot for the final three games. So I won't be there tonight or to cheer us on against Chelsea or to (hopefully) celebrate against Blackpool (unless another TA member wants to PM me about a spare face-value ticket).

Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets to catch Man Utd at Old Trafford

So must I apply for the ManUtd's membership just to apply for tickets for one match? There aren't any tickets on sale offered to the general public?

Because i see i have absolutely no need for the membership after i return back to singapore.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,906 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets to catch Man Utd at Old Trafford

For best chance of getting a ticket, and at normal face-value, you must be a member for that season.

If there are spare tickets available after all the member applications and the ballot, then any remaining tickets do go on sale to the general public (about 2 or 3 weeks before the game). (Again better chance of this in Sept and midweek game vs a lesser club).

One alternative is to buy tickets with a hospitality package (eg meals etc); available to non-members but much more costly.

Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets to catch Man Utd at Old Trafford

alright. thanks for your advice. i will consider taking up the membership just to be on the safer side. don't wanna spend thousands of dollars fly all the way to manchester and not get to watch man united play live at old trafford. :(

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,906 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets to catch Man Utd at Old Trafford

Bear in mind membership doesn't guarantee a ticket, it gets you into the main ballot.

It does give you a small discount on doing the inside tour of Old Trafford (a must for everyone interested in ManU, non-match days only), plus discount on purchases at the megastore and food/drink in Red Cafe after the tour.

If you fail in the ballot then membership also allows you to purchase spare tickets (officially) from season ticket holders via viagogo website, but you have to be quick with that (immediately after the sellout is announced) and there is a highish surcharge over the face-value.

And dates will be a factor for you - there are not games at Old Trafford every week. Fixture list announced in June or July, and dates are subject to change a bit due to TV schedules.

Edited: 04 May 2011, 17:03
Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tickets to catch Man Utd at Old Trafford

I see. your words have been very helpful to me.

So what do you suggest an overseas traveller do in order to maximise his chances of catching a game at Old Trafford? I'm trying to keep my costs as low as possible as well, because i'm still an undergrad, not working, and the trip to Manchester is going to be my grad trip.

To save on air tickets costs i'm looking to fly on budget airline Air Asia X from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. yes most people wouldn't stand flying for so many hours on a budget airline, but i guess i have no choice. and to get the cheapest tickets means i have to book many months in advance, say at least 3 months.

Air Asia X only flies to London so i have to find my own way to Manchester from there.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tickets to catch Man Utd at Old Trafford

Hi

You have to remember that Man U is one of the best supported teams in the world. I'ts also a very big business. So getting a ticket for a good game is not easy. KWUK has given you the best advice.

Even true supporters in Manchester struggle to get tickets

The only way in my opinion to get a ticket is via a hospitality package and your going to have to pay!.

Sorry to put it this way but the English Primier League is about making money so hospitality rules thats why Rooney etc are on mega bucks.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,906 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tickets to catch Man Utd at Old Trafford

denikeve - I can't add much more to what's been said previously. You've got quite a challenge on juggling dates, ballots, flight costs etc etc. Not easy, so it will have to be your own decision.

Just one extra thought (I've no experience of this, or whether it works, but I've heard it suggested somewhere) - assuming there is a game at OT whilst you're here in UK - if you are a member (ie showing your loyalty) you could write to the club in advance and explain the circumstances of the distance you are travelling and see if they can specially guarantee a ticket in the members ballot - as a one-off.

Edited: 06 May 2011, 14:03
Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tickets to catch Man Utd at Old Trafford

yes i've thought about that.

i went through manutd.com and looked at its FAQ section. the answers to most of the questions i have about securing a ticket can be found there.

for the 2011/12 season membership, its gonna costs 20pounds, and the most expensive ticket for this season according to their website is 49pounds. so all in all im looking at paying around 70 pounds for a ticket, and that is provided their 2012/13 season membership prices dont change and their ticket prices dont change. 70pounds is still quite acceptable for me, and alot cheaper than forking out for the hospitality package which is easily more than 200pounds. of course paying 200pounds guarantees me a ticket, and 70 pounds doesn't, im fully aware of that.

i'm hoping someone an overseas supporter who's heading to OT or have experienced going there to watch a live EPL match can come here and share his/her experiences with regards to how he/she managed to secure that tickets.

also another question, is one member only allowed to buy 1 ticket? if im want to watch the match with someone else does he/she have to get the membership as well? the manutd.com website did talk a little about this but i did not quite catch what it means.