We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Champions league final

Knutsford
7 posts
Save Topic
Champions league final

I will be celebrating my birthday on 28th May in Manchester (staying at the palace hotel) and obviously part of this celebration will have to include watching the champions league final.

Does anyone know of any bars/venues that will be showing the match - would preferably like to get an early dinner at a nice restaurant so anywhere where we won't have to arrive hours before the match would be preferable.

Any suggestions/ideas would be welcome.

Thanks.

A

1. Re: Champions league final

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 May 2011, 09:54
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Champions league final

Hi

Most Bars will be showing the game I suspect and will be full. It's a Bank Holiday Weekend as well and Man U are doing a home coming parade on the Monday morning so looks like a busy weekend.

Try Kro bar which is left out of the hotel and pass the BBC just after the Bridge food is good as well.

Turning right out of the Hotel pass the Palace Theatre and there a number of Bars on Oxford St.

Have a weekend.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Champions league final

You have O'Shea's pub (sort of behind your hotel) which is one of the biggest pubs in town with a screen. That may well be your best bet. It could be unbelievably packed though.

Other options would be Joshua Brooks (further along from O'Sheas)...they have a big screen but also have a few posts spoiling the view (a bit like the old Wembley).

I would guess that every pub with a TV will have it on. Mulligan's (behind Kendals) is always popular for football but is small and narrow so may not be your best bet. Sawyer's (Deansgate - not far from Mulligan's) has a few big screens.

Unfortunately, since the riot during the Rangers v Zenit game most outdoor screens have been banned. They did introduce them back for the World Cup last year but they're all closely policed and have no alcohol on sale.

Near your hotel you have lots of choices for food. East-Z-East (just by Joshua Brooks) is one of the best Indians in the city. There's a great new Chinese/Szechuanese called Middle Kingdom between Joshua Brooks and O'Sheas and you're only five minutes walk (if that) from Chinatown and

ten minutes from the city-centre.

From my experince, in previous years (99, 08 but not 09 obviously!), people congregated in Albert Square after the match. Might be worth doing that if the result goes our way!

4. Re: Champions league final

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 08:19