We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Old Trafford and the Train Station

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near Old Trafford and the Train Station

My sons(15 and 17) and I are coming in to Manchester in mid-June from Edinburgh by train. I would like to find a nice hotel that is close to Old Trafford Stadium and the train station because I want to get to the hotel quickly, drop off our luggage and then head directly to the stadium for a tour. Any suggestions?

Also, we are just staying one night in Manchester. Any suggestions for something fun to do that night before we fly back to Atlanta that next morning?

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near Old Trafford and the Train Station

Well - Old Trafford is about 2-3 miles from the city centre and so is nowhere near Piccadilly train station.

Your best bet would be to get a hotel near to Picc Station (City Inn, Macdonald Spa, Malmaison) and use that as a base. You can then get the tram from Picc station (or elsewhere in Manchester) to get to Old Trafford...you would want either the Altrincham or the Eccles tram.

Fun things for a family? You'd probably want to go for a meal. Chinatown (3 mins walk from any of those hotels) or Rusholme (for Indian food, about 1 mile south of the city centre) might be your best bet.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near Old Trafford and the Train Station

Hi,

I suggest that you find an hotel in the city centre, near to Piccadilly Station. It's an easy 15 minute tram ride from Piccadilly to Old Trafford, the trams are very frequent and the fare is around £3.00 return. Next day, you could catch one of the many trains to the airport from Piccadilly Station, the journey takes about 20 minutes and the fare is about £4.00.

There are direct train services from Edinburgh to Manchester Piccadilly. You can get quite cheap fares for mid June, if you book now.

There's the full range of hotels in the city centre, have a look at the reviews on this site. The Mint Hotel would be ideal, it gets good reviews and is connected to Piccadilly Station via a footbridge.

www.minthotel.com/our-hotels/manchester

If you are looking for something more economical, two of The Premier Inns are a few minutes walk from St Peter's Square tram stop. Free Metroshuttle buses operate from the front of Piccadilly Station, The #3 would take you close to these hotels in a few minutes.

tfgm.com/upload/library/Metroshuttle_Pocket_…

premierinn.com/en/…manchester-central

premierinn.com/en/hotel/MANMTI/manchester-ci…

Good luck!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,524 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near Old Trafford and the Train Station

Yes, get a hotel near Piccadilly Stn as suggested above (Mint, Macdonald, Malmaison) if possible. Avoid hotels with 'Britannia' in the name.

You don't state your exact dates in mid-June. Bear in mind that there are some VERY big concerts in Manchester in period 3 - 12 June incl by a group called Take That (I doubt they've been heard of in your Alhabama, but they are very big in UK). A lot of people are likely to be after M/cr hotels in that timescale.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near Old Trafford and the Train Station

Something to do in the evening? There's really only eating, drinking, cinema and theatre available in the evening.

You might like the food, but maybe most of all the setting of a couple of restaurants in Manchester older buildings - Room and Browns spring to mind. Sams and Thomas's chop houses for some traditional British food.

If you want to do something more than that - there's the big wheel

Also, indoor skiing and sky diving (both located by the Trafford Centre (shopping mall) about 5 miles outside the city.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near Old Trafford and the Train Station

You guys are great. Thanks-I think we'll stay at the Mint.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near Old Trafford and the Train Station

The Mint is sold out on June 14. Darn it. Any other suggestions?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near Old Trafford and the Train Station

Abode and Malmainson are both near the station. As are a couple of apartment hotels - The Place and SACO.

The city centre is quite compact, so I don't think there's too much need to limit yourself to Piccadilly - Radisson Edwardian, Hilton (Betham Tower), The Midland, Great John Street, MacDonald Town House and The Lowry are all worth considering. You're never more than 5-10 mins away (in a taxi) from Piccadilly station if you stay anywhere in the city centre.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near Old Trafford and the Train Station

Hi,

Trains from Edinburgh also stop at Oxford Road Station, it's a small station situated on the right side of the city centre for a visit to Old Trafford. You can also catch a train to the airport from that station. A taxi from that part of the city centre to Old Trafford would cost around £8.00-£10.00.

www.palace-hotel-manchester.co.uk/…

The Palace Hotel is facing the station. The hotel gets mixed reviews, but it couldn't be better situated. There are also a number of hotels a short walk from the station. To name a few, The Midland Hotel, The Novotel Hotel. The Holiday Inn Express Oxford Road, Jury's Inn Hotel and the two Premier Inns that I mention in an earlier post.

The Manchester United Stadium tours are very popular, it's worth booking as soon as possible.

manutd.com/en/…Welcome.aspx

Good luck!

Englans
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel near Old Trafford and the Train Station

for a tour of Manchester Old Trafford -We stayed at the Old Trafford Lodge last year for £38 including breakfast.It overlooks the cricket ground . Clean friendly hotel with great choice at the breakfast.Few minutes walk to stadium. Its very popular and excellent reviews. It was sold out for the date we wanted.

Englans
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel near Old Trafford and the Train Station

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/theoldtraffordlodge.en.html?aid=311076;label=hotel-105443-gb-g*hnurDwvNth6DZG4_YUlwS3885343530;ws=&gclid=CIzE4YzO-KgCFYYOfAodxBiGUA

We just paid £64 as we are going to see an event at Man United and I think the hotels have put their prices up for this but its still cheaper than most of them and clean and comfortable

Edited: 21 May 2011, 09:20