We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels with smoking rooms???!!!

warwickshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
hotels with smoking rooms???!!!

Hi, does anyone know of any nice (at least 3star) hotels that have smoking rooms in the manchester area? I've done loads of research but have only managed to find airport hotels, would really rather be in or near the city centre! thanks in advance!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels with smoking rooms???!!!

"I've done loads of research"

I only visited one site and came up with these. Any use?

smokers-united.com/smoker-friendly/…

warwickshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels with smoking rooms???!!!

Thanks, i found a few websites like this but on ringing the hotels they mention they tell me their policy has changed! the mint hotel for example are banning smoking from this weekend! i have just booked the marriott victoria & albert, they can guarantee a smoking room if you book on the phone which is great as a few hotels who do have smoking rooms cant guarantee it as the rooms are allocated on arrival! getting more & more difficult for us smokers!!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels with smoking rooms???!!!

Glad you got somewhere.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels with smoking rooms???!!!

I thought that smoking was banned in all businesses, including hotels and hotel rooms???

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels with smoking rooms???!!!

I think it's still up to indvidual hotels if they offer smoking rooms or not. Most don't - quite rightly imo, nothing worse than only smoking rooms being available when you check in!!!

Why hotels are an exception I'm not sure though - housekeeping and room service have to go into the rooms and are therefore getting the effects of passive smoking.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels with smoking rooms???!!!

"I thought that smoking was banned in all businesses, including hotels and hotel rooms???"

It appears not. Hotels can choose to have smoking rooms or not. They must be designated as such. It is because the room is regarded as a "residence" and not a public space (as I understand it)

Prison and care homes are also exempt I believe.

warwickshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels with smoking rooms???!!!

at the end of the day its all about choice.... i can quite understand that a non-smoker would not want to stay in a smoking room, but it works both ways, a smoker wouldnt want to stay in a non-smoking room, majority of hotels dont allow smoking but the few that do only have a very small proportion of smoking rooms, so non-smokers are defo getting the better deal all round, which is fair enough but to say that ALL hotels should be non-smoking is quite frankly unfair & dictatorship! if you dont smoke thats your choice but surely you need to accept that people who do smoke have the right to, its their choice.....

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotels with smoking rooms???!!!

People do not have a right to pollute and that is what smoking is seen as by some people.

It pollutes the air and can cause serious illness to those that do not smoke. Hence the legislation that was enacted.

However I think that people should have the choice and premises should be able to find a way to deal with the pollution, by means of air filtration for example.

It would appear that "the powers that be" decided a blanket ban was the easiest solution

Edited: 22 June 2011, 23:15
Essex
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotels with smoking rooms???!!!

Perhaps we should all give up driving cars - they pollute, using computers - as many methods for producing electricity pollute - we do not hve the right to do this, according to you, Gwestend.

I am no fan of smoking either - but I don't think you can use the arguement that you have proposed!

Manchester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotels with smoking rooms???!!!

I would imagine that there are no hotels in Manchester that allow you to smoke on the premises.