We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Scarbourough to Manchester

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
175 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
travel from Scarbourough to Manchester

Help! My husband and I will be visiting Scarborough the end of July. We're not familiar w/ all the public transportation options, but we're looking to travel from Scarborough to Manchester on a Sunday morning. Can anyone direct me to an earlier train than the 9:20? or is there a bus that we can take to arrive at the Manchester airport by 11:00? Any other options? Please give links and/or ball park costs?

Thanks for any & all suggestions!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Scarbourough to Manchester

As you've mentioned the 9.20 I assume you've checked something like www.nationalrail.co.uk. That shows ALL the available trains and yes, 9.20 is the earliest. So I think that's your only train option.

I'm don't know so much about buses, but a quick check on the national express website shows an 8.20 bus from Scarborough to the airport, but that takes over 6 hours and involves 2 changes (there are earlier coaches to Manchester city centre, but they still take around 5 hours and involve a change).

It sounds like you might need to consider travelling to Manchester/Manchester Airport the day/evening/night before.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Scarbourough to Manchester

I'm afraid because you want to travel on a Sunday morning the 9.20am is the earliest train. If you were travelling any other day of the week you would be able to easliy get to Manchester airport for 11am.

Your only options for travel on the Sunday would be to hire a car and drop it off at the airport. As Retep suggests you might have to travel back the afternoon/evening of the Saturday. There are quite a few good hotel options at the airport at various standards and prices.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Scarbourough to Manchester

Hi,

If you can find some way to get to York on the Sunday morning, there are 3 or 4 trains that will get you to Manchester Airport well before 11:00am. Book now and the Advance fares are £8.50.

As suggested, it may be advisable to travel on the Saturday. You can get Advance fares from Scarborough to Manchester Airport for as low as £14.00. A quick check of the airport hotels, for Saturday 30th July, shows The Premier Inn, Manchester Airport (Ft) has rooms at £29.00. The hotel is 5 to 10 minutes from the airport, There's a chargeable shuttle from the station and the hotel gets good reviews.

premierinn.com/en/…manchester-airport-ft

Good luck!

Ventura, CA
Level Contributor
175 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Scarbourough to Manchester

Thanks everyone for your input. Unfortunately, leaving the day before will not work as we have a committment until mid evening. We'll just have to delay our departure for southern England a day.

You've all been a great help.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
734 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Scarbourough to Manchester

As was asked in the Manchester forum, its not clear why you are going via Manchester at all! If you wanted to fly its not the nearest airport to Scarborough and you can get to the south of England direct without going through Manchester.

Its a bit like going via Chicago or Hawaii to get between North and South California!

6. Re: travel from Scarbourough to Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 04:17