We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendation for good restaurant and bar

Chester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
recommendation for good restaurant and bar

I am coming to Manchester for the night in late September to celebrate my 40th birthday. There will be a large group of us (approx 20) and need some advice on decent restaurants and bars. we are staying in the premier apartments in the Northern Quarter and would prefer walking distance unless there is somewhere fantastic to go via taxi?

Thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendation for good restaurant and bar

You can't go far for decent bars in the Northen Quarter! There are loads!

TV21 offers you something a bit different, Hula Tikka lounge for great cocktails, The English Lounge for your more pub type place (lovely food too, but perhaps not for a birthday party), Bluu is a popular place!

I love a place called Cord which is kinda cool!

Not 100% on eating places in the Northern Quarter myself, but I know someone will be able to point you in the right direction!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendation for good restaurant and bar

Somewhere like Grill on the Alley, Grill on New York Street or Gaucho's are all considering for large group. They are very good seafood/steak type places, but have other choices too (particularly the 'Grill' places). All those have bars as well.

Chaophraya (Thai) is also very good and has a good bar.

Akbars and East Z East (Blackfriars) are big, good quality Indian restaurants that would have no problem with a table for 20.

Australasia is a new place that has had a some great reviews (although I wasn't impressed), but worth considering.

Browns is good restaurant and bar.

There is a Jamie's (Oliver) Italian opening soon. I think it might be open by the end of September.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
634 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendation for good restaurant and bar

thomas and the northern quarter restaurant both do good food. thomas has an area upstairs that may accommodate twenty people but you'd struggle to get that at the latter.

Manchester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommendation for good restaurant and bar

Cant beat those recommendations,enjoy.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommendation for good restaurant and bar

You cannot go far wrong than the Northern Quarter, try the Market Restaurant or the Northern Quarter Restaurant next door.

Enjoy.

uk
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recommendation for good restaurant and bar

Bem Brazil is good for big groups and is a little bit different. It is also good value compared to some of the other restaurants mentioned. Grill on the Alley is excellent however. Not a big fan of Gaucho though.

Be aware that a lot of the bars in the Northern Quarter are quite small so getting a big group in might be difficult, especially later on in the evening. TV 21 is your best bet as it is huge.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: recommendation for good restaurant and bar

You should look at this list of top manchester restaurants manchesterconfidential.co.uk/Food-and-Drink. Northern Quarter has loads of great bars and restaurant, you will be spoilt for chose!

Edited: 05 August 2011, 15:32
8. Re: recommendation for good restaurant and bar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 01:16