We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Classy Hen Do - what can we do? Also How do I get from...

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Classy Hen Do - what can we do? Also How do I get from...

I have booked a hen do for the 1st weekend in Sept, but not going for any tack. There are 6 of us aged between 30 and 57 staying at The Macdonald Spa Hotel. We have got our spa treatments on the Friday but am stuck for what to do on the saturday - none of the normal hen do activities are either suitable or will take a small group for acceptable £. I tried booking us in at Cloud 23 for high tea but they are fully booked and I can't seem to find any bus tours...

Does any one have any suggestions for where we can eat on the Friday? Pref somewhere with atmosphere but not super expensive or one that is also a club

Also 4 of the party, including the bride to be, are flying in from Ireland and I wonder what precise instructions I can give them to get to Piccidilly train or bus station, or does anyone know how much a taxi sould cost so they dont get ripped off?

Many thanks in advance! xx

Level Contributor
3,740 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Classy Hen Do - what can we do? Also How do I get from...

A taxi from airport will be £25-30 dependant on the time. They can take the train direct from the airport to Piccadilly station, takes about 20 minutes with trains every 15minutes.

Browns is a good place for food, nice atmosphere and cocktails but also reasonably priced.

I am a big fan of Grill on the Alley but may be a bit expensive.

I haven't been myself but I hear the Lowry hotel does good afternoon tea, albeit without the views of Cloud 23. It is a nice hotel and the bar area is lovely.

There a few museums which could be interesting if these are your thing of maybe check out matenees at the theatre?

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Classy Hen Do - what can we do? Also How do I get from...

There are trains every few minutes from the airport to Piccadilly Station, tell your friends to leave Piccadilly by the Fairfield Street entrance and they'll find your hotel is a few minutes walk from there.

Harvey Nichols gets good reviews for afternoon tea and it is one of the cheapest of the upmarket establishments.

There are no bus tours, but make use of the free Metroshuttle buses that run a round the city centre from the front of Piccadilly Station.

Good luck!

Edited: 05 August 2011, 01:19
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Classy Hen Do - what can we do? Also How do I get from...

Thanks both for your quick replies! That is great info to get me started... any more would be greatly appreciated x

Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
641 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Classy Hen Do - what can we do? Also How do I get from...

for a good dining atmosphere, i'd say any one of the following would be good for a group of girls/women: the northern quarter, thomas, rosso, san carlo, san carlo cicchetti, room, piccolino, croma (mainly pizzas). perhaps bem brasil?

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Classy Hen Do - what can we do? Also How do I get from...

Afternoon Tea

For Afternoon Tea the best place is Harvey Nick's. You can take your time, get a good view over the city and you can get a champagne option if you want. You need to book ahead though (0161 828 8898). I've been here 3 times and would definitely go again.

Things to do

Cocktail making classes at Revolution Bar - seems quite popular with hen groups (not done it myself but have been in the Parsonage Gardens one when a group has been in (http://www.revolution-bars.co.uk/manchesterpg))

Manchester Wheel - unless you've not got a head for heights!

Always worth having a look around Selfridges and Harvey Nick's (the bride might like the shoe department in Harvey Nick's? I know I do!)

What about a make up session? The Mac counters are really good and you can get a make up lesson ready for your night out if you book the right slot (costs around £25 but redeemable against any products you buy)

If it's something more cultural you're after there are some good art galleries (Mosley Street or The Lowry (get a tram to The Lowry) and Urbis often has some good exhibitions. Check the tourist office website.

Places to Eat/Drink

Kro in Piccadilly Gardens would be a good place to start as it's around about half way between where you're staying and these restaurants.

Bem Brasil does good drinks too (round the corner from Revolution again!). The food's not bad either, it's a buffet but they bring hot meat to your table. The food isn't really expensive but we bumped up the cost of ours by getting carried away with the delicious cocktails.

You should go to The Northern Quarter for drinks too. Plenty of bars to choose from that do cocktails: Socio Rehab; Bluu (I think this bar is better earlier on); Odd.

Room does good food (http://www.roomrestaurants.com/) and you can stay for drinks afterwards. Their cocktails are pretty good.

The Grill on the Alley sometimes does an early specials menu. It's not far from Revolution either

Restaurant Bar and Grill (therestaurantbarandgrill.co.uk/manchester.ht…) does good food and isn't ridiculously expensive (personally, I'd go for Room though, if you're a group of women on a classy hen do, I think you'll enjoy it more)

Panama Hatty's (http://www.panama-hattys.co.uk/) is reasonably priced and just round the corner from Room so you could have cocktails in Room and then eat in Panama Hatty's

A good value option for eating is always Wagamama or Tampopo

The Modern at Urbis is a good restaurant and often has an afternoon set menu. Check if it's going to be open though as it's shut at the moment. It can be quiet on an afternoon though so check this is what you're after.

Getting from the airport

The cheapest and easiest option will probably be the train (don't bother with the bus, you'll want to kill yourself it takes so long). Your hotel is adjacent to the train station. If you're getting a taxi, try to pre-book one rather than getting a black cab as it'll be cheaper (e.g. 0161 773 2211). Not sure how much it costs in to town but I live about 3 miles on the other side of the town centre and it costs me £18 flat fare to my house.

E-mail me if you have any specific queries. You'll have a great time.

Manchester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Classy Hen Do - what can we do? Also How do I get from...

Flash Jackson has given you some comprehensive and good advice,but I think he has missed Castlefield out (where Coronation St is shot) Dukes 92 is a great atmosphere on a sunny afternoon and Alberts Shed is excellent and only 5 mins walk from the Hilton.

The Knott bar too is a cool bar with great beers.

Nearby in Spiningfields is the much heralded Australasia and Alchemist must visits.!!!!

San Carlos is always a place to see a celeb and Rosso is owned by Rio,Wings Chinese is where the Rooneys eat.

Have GREAT time Manchester is a party time,and I bet your not so classy after midnight !!

7. Re: Classy Hen Do - what can we do? Also How do I get from...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 03:15