We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train and ferry from Dublin to Manchester

florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
train and ferry from Dublin to Manchester

HI, any suggestions? WE also like to go first class on trains...and our ending destination is not really Manchester, but we probably have to rent a car there to travel to our real destination Grantham Woods in Lincolnshire. WE need a car to explore from there.

Thank you so much..

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train and ferry from Dublin to Manchester

Hi,

Ferry from Dublin to Liverpool or Dublin to Holyhead (much quicker ferry crossing to Holyhead, but then further away from Manchester and Linolnshire).

Are you stopping in Manchester as part of your journey, or is that just where you think you need to hire a car from?

From Liverpool you can get a direct train all the way to Norwich. So you could take that train and get off at Nottingham and hire a car from there to get to Grantham Woods?

If you do need to stop/stay in Manchester on the way, then it's simply a train from Liverpool to Manchester. Then either hire a car there and drive to Linolnshire, or get another train to get closer (i.e. Nottingham) and hire a car then.

From Holyhead it's pretty much the same - either a train from there to Manchester, or a train from there to Nottingham (involves 2 or 3 train changes) or another nearby city.

Hope that helps.

florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train and ferry from Dublin to Manchester

HI, it does. We don't need to stop in Manchester, if we were flying then that would have been the best, we just need to get to Grantham and rent a car for the week, and then take the train to Edinburgh. THank you.!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,906 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train and ferry from Dublin to Manchester

I assume you are staying at the Belton Woods Hotel in Grantham?

You can actually get a direct train from Liverpool through to Grantham. I would be tempted to take a taxi to the hotel from Grantham Station for the first night. If you book your car rental to start next day, book through Enterprise Car Rentals as they will come to the Hotel the next day and pick you up if you request this. Then just drop the car off before catching your train to Edinburgh.

enterprise.co.uk/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train and ferry from Dublin to Manchester

Is there a problem flying to the East Midlands? I'd suggest that as an easier journey than driving from Manchester. From Manchester you have a long detour to go by motorway or a complicated journey across the hills of Derbyshire

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,164 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train and ferry from Dublin to Manchester

Check out http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/rail-and-sail/ for combined train / ferry tickets from Ireland. But I would have thought flying to Stansted or East Midlands would be a quicker option

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train and ferry from Dublin to Manchester

Just to say that on many of the cross country trains whether it be Holyhead or Liverpool to Manchester or across to Norwich it is not worth paying extra for first class. On such trains so called first class is only a few seats at the end of a carriage shared with standard class, the only difference being slightly more room. Catering facilites are limited to a trolley with sandwiches and drinks.

Calgary, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: train and ferry from Dublin to Manchester

I will be in Manchester Jan/12, I am looking to find the best way to travel from manchester to Dublin. via train or should I rent a car and drive over ? and how long is the ferry ride?

Edited: 29 October 2011, 23:15
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,885 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train and ferry from Dublin to Manchester

Fly, its a lot less hasle

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train and ferry from Dublin to Manchester

"should I rent a car and drive over ? and how long is the ferry ride?"

The hire car company will think Christmas has come early if you try to do that!

Taking a hire car from one country to another usually incurs a hefty charge (that's if they let you do it in the first place).

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train and ferry from Dublin to Manchester

just to echo Ronaldo and Hooameye,

it would be very expensive to take a car fro UK to Dublin, the ferries are expensive and then the car hire co. has to send someone to get it back, and a car in Dublin is useless. Fly.