We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Tickets - I THINK I understand....

los angeles
Level Contributor
277 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
United Tickets - I THINK I understand....

but would appreciate your confirming:

- It is illegal to purchase tickets through a broker or "touts"

- To buy online at the official site one must become a member and then take a chance that any tickets to a game would be available for purchase

- If I purchase a "hospitality package" online at the Manchester United site (about 199 pounds per ticket) this will guarantee me a ticket to the game (and food, drink etc.) in what looks to be a hospitality suite of some kind.

We are looking to go to the 26 November game against Newcastle. Can you let me know if I have my facts straight? I prefer not to pay the 199 per person for the hospitality package but don't want to do anything illegal of course and want to make sure we can get tickets so this does look to be the only sure thing.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,317 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Tickets - I THINK I understand....

Yup, you've got it covered. Whilst it is only illegal to sell tickets, buying from a tout (scalper) could result in you buying a dud ticket. Best not risk that.

The £199 package is about the right price, however, there are some dodgy companies doing these packages and again, you could end up out of pocket but if you are buying from the club directly then you can sleep soundly. It should be a good experience for you

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Tickets - I THINK I understand....

Since giving up our season tickets last year we've got tickets for every match we've applied for (basically all home league games), except last weekends derby game against city (thank god,).

So, yes, it's a risk, but you've got a good chance of tickets for that game and obviously a lot cheaper.

Not sure if they still run it, but the club also used to run ticket exchange scheme. Check www.manutd.com.

Hope that helps.

Edited: 27 October 2011, 18:34
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Tickets - I THINK I understand....

No ticket exchange any more. Getting a membership is the best way. As stated there is a good chance of getting tickets for most games this way. Not sure about Newcastle game though as its only 4 weeks off. Ballots for games open 6 weeks before a game and many could be gone now.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Tickets - I THINK I understand....

Hospitality is the only guaranteed way for non-members.

The membership approach is a risk, as there is no guarantee. I'm a member and also (luckily as it turned out) failed to get a ticket for last weekend and was only successful for a previous game because of a last minute small availability.

Just checked the ManU website and members can buy tickets for Newcastle by phoning up; so looks like they're not yet sold out (but Newcastle are doing well this season so could sell out at any time).

You could phone up the ManU ticket office and see if you could buy, there and then, both a membership and then a ticket. Alternatively buy the hospitality ticket.

You say " we" in your question - note that you will need one membership per member's ticket; so "we" means you would need to buy 2 (or more ?) memberships. I suggest you need to act fast or you could miss out. IMO if ManU decide to put tickets on open sale they will sell out quickly.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,500 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Tickets - I THINK I understand....

>IMO if ManU decide to put tickets on open sale they will sell out quickly<

Unless they are playing Man City ;-0

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Tickets - I THINK I understand....

matt_1376, I just love that scouse humour.

Although Man C are quickly becoming even more unloveable than the London team who tried to buy success

los angeles
Level Contributor
277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Tickets - I THINK I understand....

Hi,

Thank you all for your advice, it is GREATLY appreciated. I hate to sound stupid, but....when I google Manchester United tickets I come up with several ticket brokers that look very legitimate; are they all illegal? They certainly don't look illegal! The reason I am asking is because although I bit the bullet and tried to buy the expensive hospitality packages for the game, the only available option left at this late date was the Lanchasire one which doesn't even appear to be in the stadium, it looks like its in a cricket club? So then we went to try and go the membership route but it doesn't appear there are two seats together left anywhere.

So....I guess we could just go watch the game in a pub but one of the reasons we are coming to Manchester is to see a game so we'd like to try and make it work if at all possible. i just don't want to do anything illegal!!

So any insight into the ticket broker route would be hugely appreciated. Thank you!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Tickets - I THINK I understand....

Hi,

I'd suggest googling the names of the broker firms and see what comes in terms of independent reviews. Also, maybe contact the club about the legitimacy of the firms as well.

Hope you get tickets sorted ok.

Pete

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,500 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Tickets - I THINK I understand....

I don't know about Man U (it's against my religion to go on their website ;-0 ) but on the Liverpool FC website when you click "Buy Tickets" there is a drop down menu with the various ticket options, hospitality packages etc, and there is a link to "Thomas Cook Match Breaks" which is the only official ticket agent recognised by LFC.

I guess the same is for Man U because you can buy tickets for their games on the website too:

http://www.thomascooksport.com/Football

It does include accomodation though, but if you get stuck for getting tickets direct from Man U it's the only other "legal" way of getting tickets.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Tickets - I THINK I understand....

Why go through a broker when you can buy direct from ManU. Their website manutd.com still has some availability for hospitality for that game.

…manutd.com/en/AvailableMatches.aspx

The 'Lancashire' package would be fine (if you can afford it); yes at cricket ground 5-10 mins walk from football stadium. You will enjoy that walk as there will be thousands of supporters taking exactly that same walk as you would do - all part of the pre-match atmosphere. I sometimes park my car in that direction and walk right past where you will be getting the hospitality. Also checking the detail of 'pitch view' those seats will be in a good location in the stadium.

Edited: 28 October 2011, 09:56