We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Markets

england
10 posts
Save Topic
Christmas Markets

I'm bringing my mum up to Manchester for a pre Christmas treat. What good hotels are within the 5 mins walk of the markets? I've had a bit of a google and it seems as though the markets are a bit spread out, so want something that is well placed for dropping off bags!

Any help would be great!

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Manchester UK
Level Contributor
429 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Markets

Hi there!

The Christmas Markets in Manchester are brilliant. They seem to be getting bigger each year and it's easy to get around on foot or using the tram.

The main Market area is Albert Square, in front of the Town Hall but there are stalls through from Victoria Station past the Triangle shopping centre (and the Manchester Big Wheel) up through Harvey Nichols/Selfridges and through St Anne's Square to the streets surrounding Albert Square. There's stuff down at Spinningfields (ice rink etc I think) on the other side of Deansgate and more up at Piccadilly Gardens.

Sorry, this isn't much help if you don't know Manchester but you'll find most of the hotels are close to the markets or a tram stop. If you look at Laterooms you can narrow your search to city centre hotels and check out the map option using the town hall as the central spot. I suppose the Radisson Edwardian is nearest as the crow flies but it's not far to Great John Street Hotel or Velvet Hotel on either side of the centre.

Hope you have a great time, have a hot mulled wine for me!

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Albert Square
Albert Square
456 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Victoria Station
Victoria Station
411 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Spinningfields
Spinningfields
38 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Piccadilly Gardens
Piccadilly Gardens
502 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Great John Street Hotel
Great John Street Hotel
1,422 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Velvet Hotel
Velvet Hotel
1,870 Reviews
Manchester, UK
england
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Markets

thanks, you're right I have no clue on Manchester!! But I'll take your word that its all within wandering distance!

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,086 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Markets

Emma-mary - I'd recommend downloading or picking up the leaflet that has the route maps for the free MetroShuttle buses that run around the central area. These run about every 10 minutes upto 7pm and go close to where the markets and many central hotels are located:

http://www.tfgm.com/buses/metroshuttle.cfm

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Markets

Hi,

I agree, The Metroshuttle buses are great for getting around the city centre. They are very frequent, cover most of the city centre and are free to use. The #1 (orange) would be the best for the markets and it runs up to 9:00pm from now until January.

A few of the hotels that are close to the markets are The Radisson Edwardian Hotel, The Midland Hotel, The Crowne Plaza Hotel, The Renaissance Hotel. Budget hotels close by are The Premier Inn Central, Premier Inn City MEN Arena, Holiday Inn Express City Centre MEN and many more.

There are plenty more that are on the free bus routes, but not so close to the markets. Have a look at the reviews on this site and after you have chosen one or two let us know. We could then comment on their location.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
The Midland Hotel
The Midland Hotel
169 Reviews
Leeds, UK
Premier Inn Manchester Central Hotel
Premier Inn Manchester...
1,919 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Holyhead, Wales
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Markets

It all depends on funds avail.

If you go to booking .com , (or sim. ) tick city center it will come up various hotel prices

I am staying at the Arora hotel next week this hotel is close to the xmas market and is good, As a frequent visitor to Manchester it is an easy city to get around and the free bus is a great help.

Prices @ w/e are on the up, so book as soon as you can, try to avoid when Man. U are playing home. Hotels get full up. Plenty of good restaurants around the city.

Have fun.

Edited: 13 November 2011, 16:05
Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,798 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Markets

Link to markets follows - scroll down to see what is where:

manchester.gov.uk/news/article/6129/the_retu…

If you don't need to worry about dropping off bags, and prices in hotels in city centre are too high, consider alternatives on the Metrolink line - for instance at Old Trafford lodge, or in Sale or Altrincham.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester Metrolink
Manchester Metrolink
807 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Altrincham
Altrincham
Trafford, UK
North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Markets

Hi,

The video on this site will give you taste of the Christmas markets..

manchester.gov.uk/info/500004/events/5289/ma…

Good luck!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
20 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Markets

Midland Hotel you can get some bargains here, if you go on their web site

Also Malmasion great litlle hotel I have reviewed

Midland and Raddison are very close to the main market, Malmasion is at the other side of town, but better placed for shops, drinks food etc, and there are market stalls at this end too that lead to the main market

Keep well away from Sachas and Britainna hotels, dumps and attract the youths

There are a couple of Premier Inns, one opposite the Midland, if you are on a budget

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Midland Hotel
Midland Hotel
792 Reviews
Bradford, UK
The Midland
The Midland
5,466 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Markets

I have been to the Chrismas markets today. Had a really good time. Best Christmas market I have seen.

The travel lodge is also within walking distance of Exchange square where the markets start.

I wish I had this metro shuttle maps beforehand.

The metroshuttle is really good when it works, but the information is sadly lacking at the bus stops......print it off and take it with you.

My shuttle didn't arrive and then when the next one came along the driver wouldn't let me get on because it was full!

Edited: 18 November 2011, 20:56
england
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Markets

dear all,

thank you for the help, looking at the Midland,Arora and Plaza as potential bases.

About to print off the shuttle bus map as well,

Mentioned in this post
The Midland
The Midland
5,466 Reviews
Manchester, UK