We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half a Day in Manchester--What to Do & What to Buy?

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
287 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
Half a Day in Manchester--What to Do & What to Buy?

I wll be in Manchester in January...I will have perhaps half a day to tour, unfortunately. I have been to London numerous times but this is my first trip to Manchester. Since my time will be so limited, what are the "musts" that I should try to see and/or do? Also, what types of things are very Manchester oriented, in terms of presents to bring home to teens, kids and adults...as well as for myself? Thank you!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half a Day in Manchester--What to Do & What to Buy?

The city centre is very compact. A quick walking tour of John Rylands Library, the Abraham Lincoln statue, the Town Hall, the City Art Gallery and then Chinatown could be a good idea. Stopping in a pub or two along the way would give you an essence of Manchester.

I suppose the most 'Manchester' gifts would be Manchester United gear. Or Manchester City, if you have to. If you were into football you could go to Old Trafford (about 3 miles outside the city centre) for the tour, museum and the Megastore (the store has a lot of merchandise not available elsewhere). Otherwise, all city centre sports stores (and plenty of other places) sell some MUFC/MCFC shirts and scarves and trinkets.

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half a Day in Manchester--What to Do & What to Buy?

For such a quick visit \I would focus on the hisoric aspects of the city and leave the shopping alone. I certainly wouldn't bother with the football merchandise - very expensive and not always great quality - it's for the fans only really.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
287 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half a Day in Manchester--What to Do & What to Buy?

Thank you both for your suggestions. I figure that I will tour the historic sites you suggested (what I LOVE to do) during the daytime and, if the stores are open later, then do some shopping. ZebFrance, I do find that shopping--even window shopping--often is part of the whole cultural experience, even if I only have time for 1 or 2 stores! :) If my son and/or husband were with me, I definately would look into Old Trafford, but on my own, I'll stick to the city centre, as I am not the sports fans that they are. I will look into a jersey for my son, though, if I happen upon one! :) Thank you again for the suggestions! I greatly appreciate them!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half a Day in Manchester--What to Do & What to Buy?

There are organised walks in the city centre on many days (usually early afternoon), one might suit you and depending on time you might then be able to visit the John Rylands (a favourite of mine - also has a good cafe if you need a rest & bite to eat) or the City Art Gallery, etc.

www.newmanchesterwalks.com/events/2012-01/

(Their calendar is looking a bit sparser than normal - it may well fill up a bit more before January).

There are some suggestions you can download & much more about the area at:

www.visitmanchester.com/#/discover/walks.aspx

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
287 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half a Day in Manchester--What to Do & What to Buy?

Thank you, Cheshireresident! When I went to sleep last night, I actually had left open a link re Manchester walks. I love walking tours! I will look into that as well. I am not sure yet of my schedule, which hours I will have to myself, but as the time gets closer, I will be able to solidify things. Thank you again!

manchester. uk
Level Contributor
267 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half a Day in Manchester--What to Do & What to Buy?

castlefield area is full of history if interested in the romans there is some exposed bits of the old raman wall ? and the canal system seems to criss cross round there which used to transport goods etc you can even get a trip on the canals i think ? we were known for the cotton trade and machinery in the industrial revelution so you could go the the science and industry museum (mosi) which is free and in castlefield will give you and idea of the citys history

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
287 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half a Day in Manchester--What to Do & What to Buy?

Thank you, Fiz67! I hope my half day of time is a long half day! Looks like there's a lot I want to see and do! :)

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Half a Day in Manchester--What to Do & What to Buy?

Hi,

One or two links that you may find useful.

The Manchester Visitor Centre is in the city centre, around the corner from the bus station in Piccadilly Gardens. They have a range of souvenirs in the centre, if you click on the online shop link on this site, it'll give you an idea of whats available.

http://www.visitmanchester.com/

There are free Metroshuttle buses that operate around the city centre, they are very frequent and as you don't have much time you would find them handy.

tfgm.com/upload/library/Metroshuttle_Pocket_…

One place not mentioned in the previous contributions, which is well worth seeing is Chetham's Library. It's in the city centre, so it would not involve a any travelling.

chethams.org.uk/treasures/treasures_marx.html

Good luck and enjoy your visit!

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Half a Day in Manchester--What to Do & What to Buy?

If advertised ours are not at suitable times then contact a Blue or Green Badge Guide for a tailor made tour doing exactly what you want.

www.toursofmanchester.co.uk

www.tourmanchester.co.uk

Both give guide contact details as does this excellent site

www.manchester2002-uk.com

Have a good browse. If you click on Arts and Culture from list on left of the homepage there is a wealth of information about history, buildings etc and scrolling down to Tours of Manchester will give a long list of qualified guides you could contact.

PS No one has mentioned the Royal Exchange, now a small theatre but open to the public and free to wander round. Manchester was the cotton capital of the world -Cottonopolis - and the boards in the exchange have been left exactly as they were on the last day of trading.

Enjoy England's North West! We are well worth a visit and are very under rated on the international tourist's 'circuit'.

Edited: 01 December 2011, 11:19
10. Re: Half a Day in Manchester--What to Do & What to Buy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:42