We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day arrival in Manchester

San Diego...
4 posts
Save Topic
Christmas Day arrival in Manchester

I will be arriving to Manchester on Christmas day at 10am. I've read that public transport will not be an option so I assume taxis are our best bet. We are staying at the Renaissance on Blackfriars Rd. Can anyone give me an idea how much taxi fare will cost for 4 people from the airport to our hotel?

Thank you!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Day arrival in Manchester

I don't know if rates will be higher as it's Christmas day, but normally that journey would cost about £30. That said, traffic will be very light so maybe a bit less as the journey should be very quick - about 20 mins.

That's for a black cab. Cheaper with a private hire, but that needs to be booked in advance.

Hope that helps

Edited: 30 November 2011, 08:38
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Day arrival in Manchester

There is another cheaper option.

The only bus service in Manchester which is running on Christmas Day is the 43 service from the airport into central Manchester. This is an hourly service during the day. It looks like normal single fares apply, I don't know what that is, but the maximum it will be is the £3.70 daysaver fare, which rather strangely is also available, just in case you want to ride there and back all day :-)

Link follows, details in 3 different places scrolling down the page:

stagecoachbus.com/manchester-christmas-2011.…

Incidentally, I would expect the taxi fare to be double what it is normally.

Edited: 30 November 2011, 11:18
North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Day arrival in Manchester

Hi,

I believe that the rate for a black cab in Manchester, on Christmas Day is the night rate plus 50%. Allowing for the extra passengers and the airport barrier charge the 10 mile journey to The Renaissance Hotel should cost around £40.00.

You could pay an extra 10 to 15% if you pay using a credit or debit card.

Black cab fares are based on distance travelled, not on time taken.

Good luck!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Day arrival in Manchester

Irgelo - interesting you say that about black cabs - I've had fairly big variances in fares based on the same journey!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,314 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Day arrival in Manchester

Useful to know about the 43 bus on Christmas Day - thanks Steve_p53

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Day arrival in Manchester

rate68,

You are right, the fare is based on distance with a waiting time element plus a few extras.

This website will give you details for Manchester, click on the link "hackney carriage fares."

manchester.gov.uk/info/1126/taxi_passenger_i…

Good luck!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Day arrival in Manchester

The way the taxi fares are set out is quite confusing, because all the distances per £ in the night rate are quite a bit smaller than those in the day rate.

Suffice to say that working it out from the rates, a ballpark figure for a 20km journey day rate is about £23.50, the night rate £31.50, Xmas day (night rate + 50%) £47.20. This is where I got my double figure from, comparing Xmas day during the day with a normal day during the day. I don't know if the 20km is a bit high for the journey, but the same principles will apply.

I didn't realise that black cabs also add a barrier fee - last time I used one there wasn't one, but private hire cars do add £2.20 as they are only allowed to go via the car park.

I think Retep and Irlgeo are both right, the journey will cost a little less if there is no traffic because as far as I know, as soon as the cab is still for any reason, the tariff switches to waiting - e.g. at traffic lights or in queues of traffic.

If OP does decide to get the bus, it is about a 10 - 15 minute walk from Piccadilly to the hotel, which appears to be on Blackfriars St. not Blackfriars Rd. From Piccadilly, find Debenhams and Primark and walk between them down Market St, over Cross St., pass Marks and Spencer, cross Deansgate and you are there. Once you find Market St. it is straight all the way (and a bit downhill).

Edited: 30 November 2011, 15:48
Mentioned in this post
Piccadilly
Piccadilly
Manchester, UK
The Deansgate
The Deansgate
91 Reviews
Manchester, UK
San Diego...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Day arrival in Manchester

Thanks so much everyone! Its good to know there will be a bus service operating that day and that taxis aren't too expensive. I guess it depends on what my traveling companions prefer. Thanks everyone for all the details and links. They are much appreciated and will be a great tool in planning our arrival!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Day arrival in Manchester

No worries jgroxy83, and have a good time in Manchester! You will find Boxing Day MUCH busier than Christmas Day!

10. Re: Christmas Day arrival in Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:42