We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Manchester - first time

Level Contributor
733 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in Manchester - first time

Hi we have just decided today to go to Manchester this weekend - my boyfriend needs to be there for work on Fri.

This will be our first time in Manchester for both of us. We have booked the Travelodge in Salford Quay and have tickets for Man Utd on Sat.

I have a few quests and would appreciate any help

How do I get from the Piccadilly train station to the hotel? I will be on my own and would prefer public transport

Suggestions for dinner (saturday) and Sunday lunch in central Manchester? We like italian, indian and thai. Would like something moderate - not too expensive.

What are the attractions in Manchester we definitely should not miss?

Thanks a lot for any help

Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
641 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Manchester - first time

you will just need to take the eccles tram, but i'm not sure which stop is closest (somebody else will know).

restaurants? for italian san carlo, san carlo cicchetti or don marco. you'd need to look at booking though. zaika, zouk and akbars are three indians i can think of that are decent. my own recommendation for a reasonably priced meal would be try thai in chinatown. here's a link to help you choose.

we're not blessed with attractions, i'm afraid, but it's certainly worth a look around the town hall, john rylands libary and chethams library.

depending what you're into, maybe have a look around afflecks and the northern quarter.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Manchester - first time

Following on from bagg10 - if the Google map location is accurate then the nearest tram (Metrolink) stop is Salford Quays. There's a "pocket guide" to the Metrolink via a download from this link:

As you're at Salford Quays, you're close to both the Imperial War Museum North and the Lowry. The IWM is an interesting building in its own right and includes the "air shard" a tower that gives views over the area. The exhibits relate to conflicts post 1900 - it seems to be a place that isn't what people expect - to me worth a visit. The Lowry has galleries that feature LS Lowry's work with other temporary exhibitions (currently an Impressionist pioneer) - there are also theatres within the building.

Next to the Lowry there's a small outlet centre which also has a cinema, food court and several (chain) restaurants.

Like bagg10 I'd recommend the John Rylands (also has a decent cafe). There's the City Art Gallery and the Museum of Science & Industry in or near the centre. You could do an organised walk - just looking at the schedule one on Saturday features the John Rylands- clashes with your match though! The Sunday one includes the murals in the Town Hall - if you're at all interested in art or Victorian Gothic architecture -

Level Contributor
78 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Manchester - first time

chaophraya is decent for thai food dont know much about indian or italian in city centre but there is the curry mile a couple miles away in rusholme lots of curry houses next door to one another similar to londons brick lane.Can recommend australasia a modern australian/pacific rim restaurant in spinningfields in the city centre good cocktail bar too.

As bagg10 says manchester not blessed with sights most people visit the city centre for eating and drinking plenty of good pubs and bars especially in northern qtr and shopping lots of designer places armani ,selfridges,harvey nicks etc and of course your already going to the football which is probably the biggest must do for visitors nowadays.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
441 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Manchester - first time

maybe my triplist can give some inspiration...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Manchester - first time

i like swadesh on portland street in the city centre for indian

6. Re: Weekend in Manchester - first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2013, 09:22