We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Piccadilly Restaurant Options

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Piccadilly Restaurant Options

Just found out I'll be in Manchester tomorrow for ovenight business trip. It's been a while since my last visit and wondered if anyone could recommend a decent Indian restaurant not far from the Portland Hotel. Thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Piccadilly Restaurant Options

Hi,

I haven't been, but it gets recommended on here:

swadeshrestaurant.com/indian-restaurant-swad…

Also, East Z East (Princess Street) is very good and not too far away.

http://www.eastzeast.com/Princess-home.html

Hope that helps.

Pete

Manchester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Piccadilly Restaurant Options

Give Sawdesh a miss v average,Eastzeast princess street under the Ibis is v good ,just further 5 mins away,down by the former BBC and then across the road facing Zouk is excellent.Both v v good.Enjoy.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Piccadilly Restaurant Options

I like Ashoka (opposite Swadesh) which is probably the closest 'formal' Indian restaurant to Piccadilly.

I say that because - just around Piccadilly - are about half-a-dozen curry cafes that sell food which is miles nicer than anything you'd get in the proper restaurants. But, the decor is that of a greasy spoon, and a pretty down market one at that. No menu (just a few different curries bubbling away and maybe a few things to go on the grill), no service (order at the counter), no alcohol and most only open at lunch...but the best food. Cafe Marhaba on Back Piccadilly is particularly good and it normally opens in the evening. The best naans in Manchester. Most people eat there on their own as well.

If you want a proper sit-down restaurant try Ashoka or East-z-East as detailed above. Or, go to the Szechuanese Red Chilli in Chinatown (close to Ashoka) and have something far nicer and far spicier than a curry.

Mentioned in this post
Ashoka
Ashoka
131 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Piccadilly
Piccadilly
Manchester, UK
Cafe Marhaba
Cafe Marhaba
102 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Chinatown
Chinatown
811 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Piccadilly Restaurant Options

I dont find Swadesh average but each to their own.

I am one of the ones that recommends Swadesh as I do not tend to eat Indian anywhere else these days.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Piccadilly Restaurant Options

Thanks ffor all the suggestions but met up with other meeting members and ended up at The Red Hot World Buffet opposite the Arndale. Pretty good value for moneyr and a bit different.

Mentioned in this post
Red Hot World Buffet
Red Hot World Buffet
3,618 Reviews
Manchester, UK
6. Re: Piccadilly Restaurant Options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2013, 10:23