We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cafes and Restaurants near Picadilly Station

Mumbles, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Cafes and Restaurants near Picadilly Station

Coming to Manchester in early February. Staying in Days Inn, near Picadilly Station. Found a list of real ales pubs to visit on pub crawls. Most look like real good old fashioned pubs and we are looking forward to visiting them.

Can anyone tell us if there are any good cafes near to our hotel for us to have breakfast. Also any good, cheapish, not flashy or too busy restuarants in the area for an evening meal. Ideally we would love a Greek or Mediteranean Restaurant. What are the hidden gems in this area? Where do the locals go that us tourists would never find?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cafes and Restaurants near Picadilly Station

not many of those types of restaraunts now do you like any other kind of food? Chinatown is good - we also have good choice of Indian. Most restraunts will have a mix of locals and tourists.

there is a cafe on piccadilly approach on the way to the station.

Mumbles, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cafes and Restaurants near Picadilly Station

Love most types of food, but absolutely adore Greek. Where is Chinatown in Manchester? Is it far from the Picadilly station area where I will be staying?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cafes and Restaurants near Picadilly Station

Not exactly in your list of hidden gems etc. for breakfast, but Wetherspoons are open from 0700, in between Newton St and Lever St., about 5 mins from Piccadilly station, and they do a full breakfast:

jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-manchester…

Bit too early for a pint in my book, but you're on holiday..

Edited: 28 January 2012, 02:42
Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
85 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cafes and Restaurants near Picadilly Station

Chinatown is about 5-10 min walk from you. It's brilliant. I love Greek myself, not tried any of the city centre ones but if you look on my profile, I've reviewed Kosmos which is in the inner city, prob be about £7 in a taxi. The food is amazing and we always go home with a full belly :) If you fancied a Greek lunch, my favourite cafe is Katsouris which is on Deansgate, it's about 20 min walk or you can hop on one of the free buses. They do things like meze platters and baklavas. The Armenian Taverna is also a good bet if you like Greek, Turkish and Arabic food, it's a 70s style basement restaurant that do amazing kebabs and mezes. Happy eating!

manchester
Level Contributor
114 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cafes and Restaurants near Picadilly Station

For breakfast you could try Richmond tea rooms which is a gem and very near your hotel (I've only been for afternon tea, but the breakfast menu looks great too) They don't open until 11am though, so might not suit you. http://www.richmondtearooms.com/Menu.aspx

For evening, you could also consider Dimitri's on Deansgate.

Enjoy!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cafes and Restaurants near Picadilly Station

On the Picadilly Station approach road there is a greasy spoon near the top of the ramp (near the train station entrance), and a caffe Nero at the bottom of the ramp.

While doing your real ale tour I recommend you visit The Bulls Head, which is just over the road from the station and recently won CAMRA pub of the year for south Manchester and north Cheshire.

There is a greek restaurant on Princess St just down from the town hall, Rozafa. I've eaten in there and it's been fine, I recommend the mezes.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cafes and Restaurants near Picadilly Station

Yes - agree that Rozafa is very good. So is D'Mitri's just at the base of the Beethan tower. Topkapi (Turkish) is superb - one of my very favourite in Manchester - and quite reasonably priced.

Another great place is the Cedar Tree (Lebanese) on Thomas Street (not too far fromPIccadilly Station on the other side). Very good indeed and quite reasonable.

There are loads of curry cafes near Picadilly as well. Some of the best and cheapest food in Manchester.

Your hotel is a couple of minutes walk to PIcadilly - and nearby is one of the best pubs in town, the Lass O'Gowrie. Fantastic old pub with its own microbrewery underneath.

You're also very close to East-z-East, one of the best Indian restaurants in Manchester. Not cheap but very good indeed.

Manchester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cafes and Restaurants near Picadilly Station

This

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cafes and Restaurants near Picadilly Station

...charming man?

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cafes and Restaurants near Picadilly Station

Brilliant, Steve, brilliant!

And not just 'cos you're a Citeh fan and we're coming up for the match tomorrow. Or because you're an expert on my favourite Greek isle.

It really was funny. Made me laugh, anyway. Strangeways, here we come.

Now, perhaps you could recommend somewhere for lunch on Portland Street/Piccadilly Gardens....?