We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advise megabus coach from london to Manchester

Thailand
2 posts
Save Topic
need advise megabus coach from london to Manchester

I will visit Manchester on 22 April , stay there 3 nights , I have review national rail web come up with train ticket cheapest 75 GBP, one way. compare to Megasbus is 13 GBP. Would you please advise for the service of Megabus since it will take up to 5 hrs.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: need advise megabus coach from london to Manchester

Too early for cheap train tickets - wait

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: need advise megabus coach from london to Manchester

As of today you can only book cheap train tickets up to the 20th April. On the 19th you can buy one way tickets for £12.

The tickets for the 22nd should be available by this weekend - but as it's a Sunday there is a risk that they will appear a few days or weeks later as Sundays is the day when train lines are dug up for maintenance & hence routings aren't known.

See http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/ - the booking date is on the right hand side

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need advise megabus coach from london to Manchester

The service of both National Express and Megabus is comparable apart from the times. Definitely wait to see if you can get the train - a much better experience.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need advise megabus coach from london to Manchester

London to Manchester is a long, tiring and very boring journey by bus or coach - as the others have said, wait a few weeks then try to book a cheap rail ticket.

Phil-the-Bus

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: need advise megabus coach from london to Manchester

Hi,

Single rail tickets, London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly on the 22nd April, are now £32.50. Wait a little longer and the fares should be even lower.

Good luck!

Edited: 01 February 2012, 12:39
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: need advise megabus coach from london to Manchester

I doubt if those fares will go lower - they are billed as 'advance' and it's a little unusual for them to go down once released - as they now obviously are.

£12 fares are available that day if you travel early morning or late evening

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,324 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: need advise megabus coach from london to Manchester

< Single rail tickets, London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly on the 22nd April, are now £32.50. >

Virgin Trains website has £12 tickets on the 08:10, 08:20, 21:25, 21:51 trains. It also has 1st Class tickets for £36.50 on most trains that day

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/

If OP knows their travel times then I'd book now as the prices are unlikely to go any lower

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need advise megabus coach from london to Manchester

Hi

We used megabus in August to get a train from Southampton to London for £1 each and it was great- if I had of known about it earlier wouldve used them for the whole trip! It's just the same as booking a normal ticket you don't have to sit anywhere in particular or anything. If it works out do it!

London
Level Contributor
9,864 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need advise megabus coach from london to Manchester

" It's just the same as booking a normal ticket you don't have to sit anywhere in particular or anything. "

That may be true on the Southampton route - but on trains between London and Manchester you will have an allocated seat which you are expected to sit in.

As others have said, for travel in April the cheap fares are now released. Waiting just means the cheaper fares may sell out.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,324 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: need advise megabus coach from london to Manchester

< if I had of known about it earlier wouldve used them for the whole trip! >

Megabus only offers tickets on some train routes - but not for every train or for every train. Weekends tend not to have train tickets from Megabus