We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping/museums

north wales
Level Contributor
210 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
shopping/museums

Hi i am coming on a trip there soon with a bunch of soldiers,they are doing the museums (imperial war and science)I am really only cadging a ride with them to do some shopping,i am not familiar with manchester so my question is- how far are the shops-primark new look things like that -arndale aflex palace,from these museums,i ahve a timescale of about 6 hours till we head back home to base.thanks

Portico Library
Art Galleries, Libraries
Beaumont Organic
Gift & Speciality Shops
Arndale Market
Flea & Street Markets
The Printworks
Gift & Speciality Shops
manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
641 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping/museums

mosi is on the south cusp of the city centre and it's about a fifteen, maybe twenty, minute walk from the main shopping areas. alternatively, you could take the tram from deansgate / castlefield and this will take you right into the heart of the city.

the imperial war museum is in salford quays, so you'd definitely need to catch a tram from there.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping/museums

If they are going to the Imperial War Museum you would be better off shopping at the Lowry Outlet centre, which is very close by.

When they visit MOSI (the science museum) there are a lot of upper end stores a block away. Otherwise take the free bus from outside the musuem to head closer to town. You want to be heading for Market St, with Aflecks Palace a block away from the Arndale centre.

You could easily cover all of the areas in six hours, but it does depend on how much shopping time you want. If they are going to MOSI first and leaving from the Imperial War musuem I suggest you go to Primark and Afflecks Palace which are very close together. Next is in the Arndale centre, then take the tram out to the Lowry centre and finally meet them at the War Museum (or vice versa).

manchester
Level Contributor
23 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping/museums

Yes ,good advice already given....try to start at the science museum....a walk up deansgate will bring you to King St(if you have plenty of money)then further on to the arndale if you dont .Afflecks Palace is another 10 minute walk away in Oldham St.There are lots of quirky little shops around Oldham st/tib st and the Northern quarter...clothes,music ,shoes ,comix ,art etc...plenty of time to look around.From Piccadilly you can get the tram(15 mins max) to the Lowry and the war museum..happy shopping.!

Mentioned in this post
Oldham
Oldham
Greater Manchester, UK
Piccadilly
Piccadilly
Manchester, UK
4. Re: shopping/museums

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2013, 10:32