We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Cab or Train?

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Cab or Train?

I am taking a football holiday next week in Manchester. This is my first time visiting and wanted to know if someone could tell me the approx cab cost from the airport to Salford Quays where I am staying.

A friend recommended taking the train to the Piccadelly station then getting a cab from there. Thank you for any suggestions

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Cab or Train?

Hi,

Black cab from the airport to Salford Quays would be around £25. A pre-booked private hire would be cheaper, guessing at around £18-20. They will give you a price when booking.

There are several trains an hour from the airport to Manchester Piccadilly. The fare is just a few pounds. A taxi from Piccadilly black cab taxi rank to Salford Quays would be about £8-10. You can also get a tram from Piccadilly to Salford Quays for £2.50 (any tram with either Eccles or MediaCityUK on the front).

Hope that helps.

Pete

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Cab or Train?

FYI - If you get a taxi from Manchester airport they add 0.70p to your fare as an Airport levy and sometimes another 0.20p as a fuel levy (added if the price of fuel gets above a certain point).

Often the driver will try and add more to the fare - argue the point. I've had them add up to 2 pounds and had various excuses like "my finger has arthritis and it just slipped" to "we're taking the council to court to get more money when picking up people from the airport". This deceit got very frequent in the last 12 months with almost half of the taxi's I get into at the airport trying to add more to the fare.

If taking a taxi from the rank at Picadilly Train Station they add 0.20p to your fare as a station levy and sometimes another 0.20p as a fuel levy.

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Cab or Train?

Thank you

I appreciate the input. looking forward to my visit!

Jason

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Cab or Train?

Hi,

I would opt for the train and tram, none of the hotels on Salford Quays are more than a couple of minutes from a tram stop.

Terminals One and Two are connected to the station by The Skylink walkway with travelators and from Terminal Three it is a short walk to The Skylink in Terminal One.

There are trains every few minutes for the 20 minute journey to Manchester Piccadilly Station, the fare is £3.80.

Once at Piccadilly Station, follow Pete's suggestion and catch one of the trams to The Quays, An Eccles, or Media City tram will get you to your hotel in around 15 minutes. If you are staying at The Holiday Inn Hotel, a Media City tram would be best.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Cab or Train?

Regarding to this, how fast can we get from Old Trafford to the airport by cab or train?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,837 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Cab or Train?

The public transport times are explained above.

Taking a taxi will depend on how many traffic jams there are on the way to the airport !

Why the rush ?

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Cab or Train?

The match we are coming to see on Sunday 11th starts at 1400 and our flight back leaves 1910, so after the match we have to get fast as possible to the airport.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,235 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Cab or Train?

Hi JayJay and welcome,

It depends on whether you are going to a match, or just going to the tour/museum.

If going to a match, the roads and trams will be busy for a long time afterwards, as the 75000 people all leave at the same time.

If you are going at non-match time, a taxi would take about 30-40 minutes during the middle of the day, a lot longer in rush hours.

A tram/train would take longer, probably 1 hr - 1hr 30min depending on your connection waiting time at Piccadilly.

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Cab or Train?

Thank you for your advice.

So the smartest thing would be that after the match (if it starts at 14, should end between 16-17?) we would walk back to our hotel in the Quays and order a cab from there or in advance?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,837 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Cab or Train?

The game will be over by 16.00 so that gives you 3hrs 10mins before the flight. You will have to check in and go through security beforehand....

...might be best to get a taxi to the airport, unless you like to risk it on the metro and train !

Edited: 26 February 2012, 01:14