We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brittannia Country club-nearby nightlife?

tyne and wear
Level Contributor
615 posts
303 reviews
Save Topic
Brittannia Country club-nearby nightlife?

Have just seen a fantastic deal for the Brittania Country club. I've stayed there before but just overnight when flying from Manchester. I was thinking about making a weekend of it but wondered if there is any nightlife near to the hotel or things to do, as I remember it being a bit in the middle of nowhere. If not, where would the nearest place be to go for a night out? If it is the centre of Manchester what would the taxi fare be?

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Manchester
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brittannia Country club-nearby nightlife?

Both West and East Didsbury are both about a 20 minute walk away from the hotel, so not much in a taxi. East Didsbury is more mainstream with a lot of chain restaurants and West Didsbury has a lot of independent bars and restaurants.

The City Centre would probably be £20 minimum in a taxi but reasonably easy to reach on the bus.

Mentioned in this post
Didsbury Park
Didsbury Park
32 Reviews
Manchester, UK
tyne and wear
Level Contributor
615 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brittannia Country club-nearby nightlife?

Thats great, thanks for your reply

Essex
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brittannia Country club-nearby nightlife?

Oh oh, Britannia Hotel alert!!

Good luck you brave and intrepid person...............

Mentioned in this post
Britannia Manchester Hotel
Britannia Manchester...
4,338 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brittannia Country club-nearby nightlife?

Bus stop is outside for all points including didsbury to city centre, cross the road for Norhenden and Sale. Buses run all night (41).

Please take note of essexwanderer's warning...

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brittannia Country club-nearby nightlife?

Hi,

Steve and EW give a clue.

Too out of town location on a "no houses" lonely stretch of Palatine Road adjacent to golf courses' highway before Northenden bridge over the River Mersey.

Not recommended, emphatically.

An hotel airport "stopover" outside the city by bus.

Better try, for example, website "Late Rooms" for outstanding City Centre hotels.

No £xx taxi rates so add that to cost savings.

Try this and others for a deal:

laterooms.com/en/hotel-reservations/145565_m…

Good wishes for a far better hotel

Mentioned in this post
The River Restaurant & Bar
The River Restaurant...
456 Reviews
Manchester, UK
uk
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brittannia Country club-nearby nightlife?

OP, I think some of the posters on here are getting a bit confused between the Brittannia Country House Hotel (which I think you're staying at) and the Brittannia Airport hotel which is another half mile or so along Palatine Road on the other side of Northenden.

Check out the difference between recent Trip Advisor reviews for the two hotels and relax a little!

The advice on Didsbury is good, as is the advice that you can easily walk, take a bus, or a taxi for £3-£4.

West Didsbury would be my recommendation but as I live there I'm a little biased. Plenty of really good quality restaurants, a few fab pubs, cafes and even cocktail bars if you'd prefer. All pretty independent, you'll boy find any of the mass Market chains here, head to East Didsbury if you want Wetherspoons, Hogshead, GBK, Zizzis etc....

I'm a member of one of the golf clubs mentioned above and regularly walk home to West Didsbury, it is a safe area and the walk takes about 20 minutes. Your hotel is closer to West Didsbury than my golf club so will be even shorter for you. It is a nice walk and you'll even pass a few bars and restaurants on the way which might even suck you in, Alberts in particular is great if it's a sunny day.

Mentioned in this post
Didsbury Park
Didsbury Park
32 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Albert's Restaurant & Bar
Albert's Restaurant & Bar
1,702 Reviews
Manchester, UK
tyne and wear
Level Contributor
615 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brittannia Country club-nearby nightlife?

Thanks to everyone for the advice

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brittannia Country club-nearby nightlife?

Country house reviews are better than airport for sure, but any hotel where 300 out of 730 reviews say it's terrible can't be that good!

9. Re: Brittannia Country club-nearby nightlife?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 23:15