We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester T3 arrival and departure within an hour

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester T3 arrival and departure within an hour

I am looking at a flight from Faro arriving at Manchester T3 at 7pm (FR4051 - Ryanair) and then booking a connecting flight from Manchester T3 on Flybe departing at 8pm to Edinburgh. Anyone advise on how likely it is that I would make the Flybe flight? I will not have any check on luggage. Would I have to go out through security and into arrivals hall and then back through security into departures. Or will I be able to stay airside. I appreciate this all depends on the flights being on time etc etc. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,510 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester T3 arrival and departure within an hour

Why not just get a direct flight from Faro to Edinburgh, Ryanair and Jet2 have them.

Trying to 'connect' two low-cost flights with only an hour to spare is asking for trouble. Any delay to the Ryanair flight could mean your ticket to Edinburgh is useless and you will have to pay again for a full-price Flybe ticket.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 10:50
Mentioned in this post
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester T3 arrival and departure within an hour

and you will have to pay again for a full-price Flybe ticket.

====

.. and a hotel, since the 8pm flight to Edinburgh looks to me as if its the last one of the day.

What is your reasoning for not flying direct Muiriel??

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester T3 arrival and departure within an hour

because of the cost and lack of availability for direct faro edinburgh flight. of course that is what i would have booked if it had been possible.....but its not.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
23,510 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester T3 arrival and departure within an hour

Try direct flights to Glasgow instead? You can get across to Edinburgh by bus+bus or bus+train.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 11:46
Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester T3 arrival and departure within an hour

What date?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,537 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester T3 arrival and departure within an hour

< Would I have to go out through security and into arrivals hall >

You would have to pass through immigration and customs before you go into the arrivals hall, then you pass through security as you go to the departures area.

But your chances of making this flight are zero which means a new ticket and overnight accomodation all at full price.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 12:02
uk
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester T3 arrival and departure within an hour

Not necessarily, last year I took a risk and booked an Eastjet flight from Copenhagen connecting to a separately ticketed BA shuttle to LHR. Can't remember the exact reason ATM. Both flights were into and out of T3 at the time and I had only hand luggage and had a mobile BP for my BA flight.

You can follow the signs at Manchester for flight connections rather that pass through normal immigration. Here you do immigration and customs, just much smaller queues, I was the only person at the time, and then I was back directly to the departure hall. It took no time at all. I don't think it is strictly within the rules but I had no issue.

Of course there is very little room for error here with the OPs itinerary, it all comes down to your appetite for risk. My worse case scenario was that I missed the BA flight, went home (I live in Manchester) and paid for a flight the next morning, which was worth the gamble for me.

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
8. Re: Manchester T3 arrival and departure within an hour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 06:16