We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend a power converter?

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kirksville, Missouri
Level Contributor
17 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend a power converter?

Hey all,

Coming to Manchester at the end of this month and need to get a power converter before I do so. Does anyone have one they can recommend? I looked on Amazon and the number listed is dizzying.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend a power converter?

Power converter for what? Most are unsatisfactory for high load and you are better off buying a new hair dryer, straightner etc, rather than blow up (in some case literally) the appliance.

If its just for charging a camera or similar, are you sure the chargers arent universal voltage? Even if not its likely to be cheaper to buy ones that are.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend a power converter?

For what type of electrical product do you need a power converter? Larger items require transformers, others will work with a smaller converter.

You will also need a plug adapter, if you haven't already bought one. Slightly more expensive adapters are surge protected, worth the small extra spend I think.

Kirksville, Missouri
Level Contributor
17 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend a power converter?

Joeintheuk - The battery for my point-and-shoot and my video camera battery are the only things I need to be charging. For the point and shoot charger it says it can 110V - 240V, but the prongs are definitely not going to work. I don't have the video camera charger handy at the moment unfortunately.

TravellerPlus - See my reply I just sent to Joe for what types of items they are.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend a power converter?

If the battery on the charger is marked 110-240V then it's a dual voltage item, all you'll need is a plug adapter. If the video camera charger is also marked 110-240 then it too is dual voltage, no need for a converter, just the adapter.

I had an inexpensive adapter that gave up the ghost after three years of fairly frequent use; this is the sturdier model I bought recently: maplin.co.uk/surge-protected-worldwide-trave…

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend a power converter?

Hi,

Argos in Manchester City Centre Arndale Centre sells this adaptor..

argos.co.uk/static/…9827590.htm

I've checked and they have them in stock.

If you prefer the one recommended by TravellerPlus, there's a Maplin store on Oxford Road in the city centre. They have 9 in stock.

Good luck!

Kirksville, Missouri
Level Contributor
17 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend a power converter?

Thank you all for the help! Greatly appreciated and you just saved me a bunch of money and headaches trying to pick out a converter.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend a power converter?

Just to reiterate, in case you werent clear, what you are purchasing is as an adaptor, not a converter.

An adaptor simply allows the different prong shapes to fit (and that seems to be all you need as long as both items are rated120-240v or that region)

A converter changes the electricity from 240v to 120v (or whatever) and is more complex, expensive, problematic and doenst seem to be what you need at all.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,645 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommend a power converter?

Most of the adapters sold in the USA do not comply with British safety standards. The Argos one mentioned above (also available from other shops in the UK) is a good one to get.

9. Re: Recommend a power converter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2013, 10:15