We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the Mecure, Picadilly Hotel in Manchester?

St Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the Mecure, Picadilly Hotel in Manchester?

Hello!

I am arriving in manchester by train at picadilly station and need to find my way to the mecure hotel. I have tried looking on google street view going by what their website says but I can't see it as alot of the area seems to be blanked out?

Can anyone tell me how to get to it from the station?

Is it walkable (even in the pouring rain?) should I be lazy and get the tram to picadilly gardens or am I going in the wrong direction?

Any help would be appreciated!

Bex

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the Mecure, Picadilly Hotel in Manchester?

Google using the walk option says its 8 minutes. Up London road then turn left. I can see it in street view so not sure why you can't and there are pavements so it looks eminently walkable. But what about the old fashioned top down map view, can you not navigate from that?

I'd think a cab would be about £5 I wouldn't be messing with a tram even if there is one that goes there by the time you've waited for it you could cab or walk.

Radcliffe, United...
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the Mecure, Picadilly Hotel in Manchester?

very easy by tram and if your arriving in manchester you will have free travel on the tram with your train ticket.just get off your train go down to the tram platform.and them get any tram the next stop will be piccadilly gardens ..get off there and the hotel is striaght facing you ...you will not have to wait long for a tram as you can get any and will be every couple of mins

St Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the Mecure, Picadilly Hotel in Manchester?

@joeintheuk..I just like to be able to see it on streetview, and where the little pointer is for it, when I go to streetview I just get black. Any chance of a link for the place on maps? I know.. being a bit dumb.. but I'm just missing something!

@si2008, Thanks! I assume the hotel is very obvious? I've been to manchester once before and am I right in thinking the picadilly gardens stop is the one on the bus station?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the Mecure, Picadilly Hotel in Manchester?

Hi,

Yes, the hotel is very obvious - when you get off the tram, turn around and there are two large 60s buildings, one is the taller City Tower office block (to your right), the other (staight in front of you) is the brutalist Mecure Hotel. And also yes, Piccadilly Gardens is the one at the bus station.

I'm not 100% clear on the situation with train tickets and city zone tram travel, but I THINK you need to get a ticket that specifically includes the tram (no extra cost). That said, whilst I'd never encourage fare dodging, it's 99.99% certain that you wouldn't get stopped for a ticket check going between Piccadilly and Piccadilly Gardens.

If you've got bags, the tram is the easiest and cheapest option.

If the weather is OK and you're good to walk - it's about a 5 minute walk and very straightforward.

I definitely wouldn't bother with a cab.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Mentioned in this post
Piccadilly Gardens
Piccadilly Gardens
497 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the Mecure, Picadilly Hotel in Manchester?

yes, its the piccadilly end of Portland street and its VERY Walkable.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,629 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the Mecure, Picadilly Hotel in Manchester?

Hi BexAnn - I've solved the Google Streetview problem for you. I also got the blanked out screen when I tried it at the location you're seeking (Portland Street entrance to your hotel, just off Piccadilly Gardens bus station / tramstop).

Googlemaps shows Portland St as two sides with one of its yellow bands on each side. When I try Streetview on the side nearest to your hotel it all blanks out. When I try Steetview on the other yellow band on other side of Portland St, it works fine - and you can see the hotel entrance across the road.

Tram is the way to do it IMO.

Another very good option (depends on your time and day of arrival) is the brilliant / frequent and free (yes) Metroshuttle bus service in the city centre. Orange or Purple routes ideal for you, getting off at Portland St stop and then crossing Portland St to your hotel about 100 yds away.

tfgm.com/Corporate/Documents/Information/Man…

Mentioned in this post
Piccadilly Gardens
Piccadilly Gardens
497 Reviews
Manchester, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,629 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the Mecure, Picadilly Hotel in Manchester?

Second thought re MetroShuttle - nearest stop location not quite as I said on Orange route, it's just off Portland St on Charlotte St (but saves crossing busy Portland St). Purple ok but need to cross Portland St.

Tram still the best IMO.

St Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the Mecure, Picadilly Hotel in Manchester?

Thanks All!

Very very helpful as usual! Sorry for the delay in reply, I don't seem to be getting email alerts! :)

St Davids, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the Mecure, Picadilly Hotel in Manchester?

Also just worked out, Google Maps is showing it as the Ramada!! That's why so confused! :)

10. Re: Where is the Mecure, Picadilly Hotel in Manchester?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 07:16