We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester Airport 11 Hour Stopever + 2 kids+ handluggage!

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester Airport 11 Hour Stopever + 2 kids+ handluggage!

Really need some advice here folks please.

We arriving into Manchester Airport on a Tuesday morning from Shannon, Ireland in a couple of weeks.

We have an 11 hr delay before we catch our Etihad flight to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi.

There doesn't appear to be any shortage of great thing to do in Manchester itself to fill our time but am wondering now if it a good idea to catch train into the city with 2 kids, age 12 yrs and 4 yrs..our hand luggage (4 wheelie cases + laptop bag + pushchair)?

I looked on other forums and it appears that there are no lockers at the airport where you can leave luggage etc.

Considering that we will have been awake since before 0400am to catch the flight from Ireland, last thing we want is exhausted parents and kids and the stress/tiredness of crowds in the city etc

Would it be an option to get a "day rate" on a nearby hotel room so that at least we could relax and kids have a nap etc..even go for a stroll for a bite to eat etc..?

Has anybody else any suggestions?

Don't think we can manage with all the hand luggage etc into the city and rush back to get through Security etc

Does anyone have any suggestions or even know if Hotels do this near Manchester Airport etc..any recommendations for hotels would be great too. Budget will be a factor too..as well as proximity to the Airport and places to eat..

Any advice would be great!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,327 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester Airport 11 Hour Stopever + 2 kids+ handluggage!

Mid-December in city centre could be cold, wet, sunny, snowing - whatever Mother Nature throws at us. I would not think you would find a trip into the city either easy or relaxing with all your bags & family in tow. What sort of "things to do" appealed the most? Shopping? Museums? Restaurants?

Rather than book a room (which may be relaxing but might make it feel a very long day) what about hiring a car for the day & heading off to somewhere nearby. (An ideal spot would have been Styal Country Park & Quarry Bank Mill but it appears they are closed on Tuesdays Grr!)

Nearby Wilmslow is a busy little town, or Tatton Country Park might offer a chance to get some good fresh air & stretch your legs ready for that long flight. Plenty of pubs around for a good relaxing meal - all helps to break up the day - & with a car no worries about storing your bags & the freedom to set your own agenda or make it up as you go along.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,484 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester Airport 11 Hour Stopever + 2 kids+ handluggage!

There is another alternative if you want to go into Manchester but not cart your luggage round all day; there is a left luggage place in Manchester Piccadilly station, in between platforms 10 and 11:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/7124.aspx

There are Christmas Markets on in Manchester at the moment:

visitmanchester.com/articles/…

Edited: 01 December 2012, 14:24
North West England...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester Airport 11 Hour Stopever + 2 kids+ handluggage!

Hi,

There are left luggage offices in Terminal One and Terminal Two arrivals, Terminal Three is a short walk from Terminal One.

http://tinyurl.com/cozlunt

If you don't fancy the city centre, The Trafford Centre would be another option. Leave your luggage at the airport and catch the #18 bus to the centre.

It would still be busy, but not too busy on a Tuesday.There is plenty there to amuse the children, you would be under cover in one place with lots of restaurants and food outlets at you disposal.

There's also a 20 screen cinema.

http://www.traffordcentre.co.uk/

Good luck!

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester Airport 11 Hour Stopever + 2 kids+ handluggage!

I think if you go off the airport complex, there's always the chance of things going wrong and the last thing you want is to miss your flight-right?

I'm not certain they do a day rate but you can't be the first to ask this and I suggest you contact the Radisson Blu;

radissonblu.co.uk/hotel-manchesterairport/se…

This is accessible by covered walkway from either terminal and having a room would give access to the health club with pool and of course food is on hand- all then would be chargeable by credit card, sidestepping the need to acquire Sterling for this all too brief stay.

Not the cheapest option but the most sensible I suggest?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester Airport 11 Hour Stopever + 2 kids+ handluggage!

Great suggestions from eveybody....we won't be bored! That's for sure..Will discuss with OH and see what he thinks. I stayed at a Radisson Blu Hotel at Dublin Airport a few times after long flights from Australia and it was well worth it! May end up doing something like this for peace of mind..last thing we want is to miss our flight!

Thanks heaps to everybody for the great suggestions!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester Airport 11 Hour Stopever + 2 kids+ handluggage!

Considering that we will have been awake since before 0400am to catch the flight from Ireland

=======

Why did you book such an early flight in the first place? I am all for a decent interval between flights but this is crazy.

If you can't change your flights to avoid such a stupid o'clock wake up, I'd just book into a hotel, no question.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester Airport 11 Hour Stopever + 2 kids+ handluggage!

Another vote for the hotel option. Trafford Centre whilst a good suggestion in other circumstances is an hour's journey on the 18 bus which only goes once an hour anyway.

Manchester
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester Airport 11 Hour Stopever + 2 kids+ handluggage!

When i was traveling, if i had time to kill and was too exhausted to spend it wisely, i always opted to find a big centre with restaurants and a cinema! You can kill a day with getting fed and watching a film! The Trafford Centre is a big nice covered place to do that, but it will be busy with shoppers, might be a bit hectic, or there's Parrswood in Didsbury which is literally just a place with cinema, bowling, few restaurants ...

I really wouldn't attempt to get in to the city, it's crazy right now!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,862 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester Airport 11 Hour Stopever + 2 kids+ handluggage!

< Why did you book such an early flight in the first place? I am all for a decent interval between flights but this is crazy. >

Two flights a day - one at 7:00am, one at 7:00pm

10. Re: Manchester Airport 11 Hour Stopever + 2 kids+ handluggage!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 13:16