We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Trafford to city centre

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Old Trafford to city centre

Hey guys just wondering if anyone could help me, I'm heading over the weekend for the reading game at old Trafford but staying in Liverpool so need to get back to Liverpool as quick as can as have early flight .

Just wondering what's my best option getting back to city centre after game it will finish around 7.20 pm .

Not familiar with the area around old Trafford so if anyone could help be great . Thanks in advance .

seah0rsegirl
Level Contributor
51 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Trafford to city centre

Have a look on tfgm.com, should provide you with all the info you need. Metro is usually the preferred option, lots of buses too. You'll need to allow extra a fair bit of extra time over the normal 15 minute speed into Manchester Piccadilly (or Manchester Victoria).

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Trafford to city centre

More likely to finish at nearly 7.25pm, then dependent on where you are sitting in the stadium it can easily take another 5-10 mins to get out and just away from stadium, then a 5+ mins walk to either Metrolink tram station (choice of Salford Quays or Exchange Quay) or buses. Both will be crowded.

They put on a fleet of extra buses into city centre - all lined up along A56 Chester Road (just west of its junction with Sir Matt Busby Way).

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps…

You will have done very well if you get to Piccadilly or Victoria by 2000, IMO.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Trafford to city centre

Oooops - sorry - in my post above I should have said "just EAST of its junction with Sir Matt Busby Way"

dublin
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Trafford to city centre

Hey cheers for replys really appreciate it I reckon I will get tram I'm not familiar with area though so does anyone which tram would be the less crowded .

dublin
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Trafford to city centre

Hey cheers for replys really appreciate it I reckon I will get tram I'm not familiar with area though so does anyone which tram would be the less crowded .

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Trafford to city centre

You could also catch the train from the station under The South Stand. There are three trains back to the city centre after the game. If you catch one of the first two trains to Oxford Road Station you would have time to get one of the Liverpool Lime Street trains and be back in Liverpool by 9:00pm.

The trains depart from the stadium station at 7:34pm, 7:48pm, 8:18pm and arrive at Oxford Road Station at 7:41pm, 7:57pm and 8:26pm.

The 8:04pm and The 8:12pm trains from Oxford Road Station to Liverpool Lime Street Station would be your best bet, they are both express, limited stop trains.

There's usually quite a queue after the game for the trains back to the city centre, but get to the station as soon as you can and you should have no trouble getting on the first or second train.

There are trains to Old Trafford from the city centre before the game, the return fare is £4.00.

dublin
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Trafford to city centre

Cheers for the reply that sounds a lot better than tram I got the tram last year and it took at least 1 hour to get on and then took forever with all the stops .

Will leave a couple mins early to be out for the first train thanks again !!

Mosta, Malta
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Trafford to city centre

im in the same situation as nate09, however even worst i believe. game was moved from sat to sunday 16:00. my train leaves at 18:45 from piccadilly station? is it mission impossible? roads will be full cars hence a taxi is probably a no-go

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Trafford to city centre

If you are prepared to leave a bit before the final whistle and can arrange a taxi with a pick up point, the driver should have no trouble getting you to the station in time for your train. Buses and trams will be not be much use, unless you are prepared to leave the stadium well before the end.

You haven't said which game you are going to, the Chelsea and Swansea games kick-off at 4:00pm on a Sunday. We don't know the times of the trains after the Swansea game yet, but the first train after the Chelsea game leaves the stadium station at 6:04pm and it gets into Piccadilly Station at 6:15pm. If you got that train, it would leave you plenty of time to catch your London train. Later trains will be no use to you. You would have to purchase a ticket before you go to the game.

Read post #6 for more details.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Trafford to city centre

JK - you will certainly have to leave the stadium before the match has finished. Final whistle could be about 1755 dependent on how much time is added by the ref.

Also, have you sorted out what to do with any luggage that you may have with you?

And yes, once the match has finished it's chaos for road traffic in all directions for ages and for miles around. Can't comment about what it's like before the end of match, as I always stay until after final whistle.

Edited: 27 April 2013, 21:24