We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late arrival

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kill Devil Hills...
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Late arrival

I wonder if we should just stay in Manchester or head on to Wales after flying in at 10pm. Being from the states I hate to jump in the car and drive on the left side of the road heading to Wales in the dark. Should I get a driver to drive us to Wales or just taxi to a nearby hotel and pick up a car rental early the next day? If we stay in Manchester...where, the big city looks daunting after our stay of quiet B&Bs in Ireland.

Windermere, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late arrival

There are lots of nice hotels in Manchester and the city really isn't that big (probably similar to Charlotte, NC) however if your flying in late and off straight away in the morning it makes no sense to go into the city.

I would stay at one of the many airport hotels; perhaps The Marriott, Crowne Plaza, Premier Inn or Radisson. The Radisson has the benefit of being connected to the airport, the rest are just a short shuttle bus or taxi away.

If you are looking at saving money out of the list above the Premier Inn is likely to be the cheapest option.

If you are wary of driving on the wrong side of the road and not familiar with where your going after a long flight I do think you should get some sleep before driving to Wales.

Hope this helps you

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Late arrival

I agree, stay in one of the airport hotels overnight. The Radisson Blu Hotel, The Hilton Hotel, The Crowne Plaza Hotel and Brewleys Hotel are a couple of minutes from the terminals and close to The Car Rental Village. The Marriott Hotel and the two Premier Inns are a mile or two from the airport and on the opposite side of the airport to The Car Rental Village.

If you are going to North Wales, I wouldn't worry too much regarding driving. The airport and all the hotels mentioned are situated next to The M56 motorway. That motorway and a short length of dual carriageway will take you straight on to The A55 Expressway, that road runs the full length of The North Wales coast. Driving on the left shouldn't be much of an issue for the first couple of hours of your trip.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,042 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late arrival

As recommended in the above two posts, stay in a hotel at or very near the airport for the one night and pick up the car the following morning.

Timing is a bit unpredictable as it depends on which day and which month, but landing at 10 pm will probably mean you exit arrivals towards 11 pm (IMO much too late to then go to car rental 'village', acquire & check the car and start driving in unfamiliar territory).

4. Re: Late arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 05:16