We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester United tickets for September

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester United tickets for September

We will be visiting for 2 weeks in September. My son was really hoping there would be a game that we could get tickets to while we're there. I see on the schedule that there is a game on September 14th vs Crystal Palace.

So if this game gets moved to another date, are the possibilities Sunday or Monday? (Not Friday?) And is this a game that we'll be likely to get tickets to? I am not a member of Manchester United and was hoping to get tickets without being a member, since that would add an additional $150+ to our game. (Don't we all need to be members to get 4 tickets?)

Also when will the tickets go on sale? I looked around Manchester United's website and don't see them listed yet but I may be wrong. (I do know about Thomas Cook's website, but if at all possible I'd rather not use them since we don't need the hotel.)

Any advice at all you can offer for us to get tickets to this game would be appreciated.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester United tickets for September

The fixtures were only released today so clubs have not had time to organize ticket sales yet.

Any match can be moved. Friday is not likely.

It may be moved to Saturday lunchtime, Saturday at around 5pm, or maybe Sunday or Monday.

Nobody will know till the TV companies have "picked" their matches to show and announced the date/time.

I don't go to matches at Man Utd but I believe tickets can be difficult to get hold of (even though their ground is huge).

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,992 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester United tickets for September

The following applies to all Premiership clubs, not just London ones

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k660…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester United tickets for September

The game vs. Crystal Palace will be considered a relatively 'small' game from a TV point of view, so there's a decent chance it will be a 3pm kick off on the Saturday. NO guarantee of that, it's just much much more likely than the likes of United vs. city or United vs. Liverpool which are pretty much guaranteed to have their kick off time move to accommodate it being shown on TV.

There is a slim chance that you could get just match tickets without buying a membership, but it is a slim chance. And yes, if you want to buy four tickets via the membership scheme, then you need to buy four memberships first.

However, if you buy your memberships and keep an eye on when the tickets go on sale you have a very good chance of being able to purchase your tickets immediately without going into a ballot (last year for the 'smaller' games you could just purchase the tickets straight away rather than previous seasons where every home game went to a ballot).

If you really want to get tickets for the game without going through the Thomas Cook route that includes a hotel, I would suggest buying the memberships then keeping a close eye on the United website for when tickets go on sale.

One other option, and I have no idea if this would work, would be to call United directly, explain your situation - travelling from the US "especially to see United" - and see if they'll sell you some tickets without memberships. Might be worth a try and no harm done if it's a no go.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester United tickets for September

Getting membership will greatly improve your chances of getting a ticket. For the price of membership you do get other benefits too. Discount in the official club megastore, half price for museum and tour and £5 each off match tickets. It also includes a membership pack which includes badges, key rings and other stuff you will find interesting. One membership per ticket, so you would need one each.

The major benefit of membership is the priority for match tickets, if you look at how much hospitality packages cost, its a lot cheaper to have membership. I would also think for the Crystal palace game you will almost certainly get tickets. Apply for tickets from 6 weeks before the match. If you don't get tickets through the ballot (as a member), I think you would definitely get one, as a member, if you ring the ticket office. The match might go on general sale (open to non-members), but it will be £5 per ticket more expensive and you are taking a chance that is does go on general sale. If the match is moved to a Monday night it's quite possible it will go on general sale, but you might not know for some time yet.

The kick off is reliant on whether its shown on TV. It could be any time over the Saturday or Sunday. Or even Monday at 8pm. As you are coming so far I would make sure you book your trip to include all three days to be in Manchester. I think there is a Champions league fixture in the mid week after the weekend of the Crystal Palace game, so I would think that would rule out is being on the Monday night and more likely the Saturday lunch, 3pm, 5.30pm or Sunday lunch, but you can't be sure. It will not be on the Friday night.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester United tickets for September

We will be in Scotland the week prior to this. Switching locations on Saturday, Sept 14th, to just outside of Wrexham. So that's why this has actually worked out perfectly. As long as the game is Saturday or forward, we can make it. Granted if it's Saturday at lunch, our leaving time from Scotland will be extremely early, but that's doable.

So a few more questions, if you don't mind. I'm leaning towards getting the membership for 2 of us and having my oldest son and husband go to the game. My 14 year old and I can explore Manchester while they're at the game. (He's not interested in soccer at all anyhow...). But if I buy 2 tickets using the membership, will the seats be together? How does that work?

Also, since we'll be there the following week, is there a better chance of getting tickets for the mid-week game or this one?

If we were to take the train in from Wrexham, what is an approximate cost? Is it easier all around for us to drive to the stadium and have our car there?

Thanks again! We've been waiting for the schedule to be released and I'm so excited that it's all lined up so nicely with us being in the right part of the country at the right time and a game we actually might have a shot at getting tickets to. It would mean the world to my son to get to see a game at Old Trafford (we've seen them play in America twice, but that's not the same at all) I'm hoping that I'll be able to succeed in getting tickets!!!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester United tickets for September

Sorry - one more....

If we get picked to get tickets through the membership, are we just assigned a price level or do we get a choice?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester United tickets for September

Yes your tickets will be together.

For the Palace game it will most likely be buy your tickets and select your seats there and then (online). Even if it is a ballot, you will be allocated seats together (assuming you are successful in the ballot).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester United tickets for September

If mid-week is Champions League, then you have a good chance of getting CL tickets (about the same as for the Palace game, maybe a bit better). However, at this point we don't know if it will be a home CL game.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester United tickets for September

www.nationalrail.co.uk for your train times and cost. Book as early as possible for the best/cheapest fares.

Regarding taking the car, I'd recommend you take it into Manchester city centre (assuming that's two to the game and two to visit Manchester) and then those attending the match get to and from Old Trafford on the tram.

Alternatively, drive to a nearby suburb that is on the train or tram line into Manchester city centre, park up there and then tram or train it into Manchester/Old Trafford. Altrincham would be an obvious choice coming from Wrexham.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester United tickets for September

You get a price band choice when you pick your tickets. You might be offered lower or higher prices if your preference can't be met, but you don't have to have these. The price bandings aren't that wide anyway - circa £40-60 for standard adult tickets.

Aged 65+ memberships give you around half price tickets. I think it's similar or the same for junior memberships (aged 16 or less I think).

You'll probably also need to consider how to get your tickets. Check the website or contact the club about this.

Normally you would use your membership card to gain entry to the ground. This will be fine for you if you've already have your membership cards. If you don't have them though, you might need to arrange to have paper tickets issued and then pick them up at the ground before the kick off....