We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester Airport - what a joke!

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
248 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester Airport - what a joke!

After landing (flight LS832 from Palma) on Saturday it took 45 minutes to get through customs (too many travelers - you wouldn't think this was a major international airport would you - and why, when our IDs have been checked at least 3 times in Palma airport [and I don't think it's possible to change planes in mid-flight] do they need to scrutinize our documents? Not as if illegal immigrants manage to get in and disappear is it?) but at least we thought that our luggage would be whizzing round on the carousel when we finally got there. WRONG!!!!! Another 45 minutes to get our bags - the carousel wasn't even moving when we first got to it! The irony is that the carousel display stated the we landed at 13:34 and luggage delivery was complete at 14:17 - NO. The trolleys might have been sitting outside on the loading bay but nobody even saw their luggage until after 14:20 - and we were amongst the last 3 or 4 people to get ours at a fraction before 15:00 - the belt stopped for 3 or 4 minutes empty before we got our bags. I am sure a KPI will have been fulfilled and a bonus awarded on this false information.

I have travelled extensively throughout Europe, USA and Asia and it never ceases to amaze me how bad Manchester is at handling flight arrivals - it almost seems as if each incoming flight is a surprise to them!

Mental note to self - use Leeds/Bradford or East Midlands from now on!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,462 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester Airport - what a joke!

Just being a bit picky but CUSTOMS only takes seconds to go through, green, red or blue channel.

You are talking about Border Control or immigration. In Palma you would have left the Schengen area and so you passport has to be checked when you leave, this would be Spanish border control. No UK agency there so it is done when you reach UK. For someone who is well travelled you must know that.

At least in the end you did get your baggage, thought you were going to say it was lost.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,199 posts
1,627 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester Airport - what a joke!

When you go through immigration at Manchester Airport, its dealing with all flights that arrive at that terminal, so it will not just be your flight.

That said, it is far from a perfect airport.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester Airport - what a joke!

I've only landed at Manchester International airport once (September 2012). Plane landed approx 7.30am, we had collected our luggage, through customs/immigration in a blink and were out of the airport, in our transfer car and on our way to the Lakes by 8.10am. Pretty impressive, I think.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester Airport - what a joke!

I've flown into Manchester countless times and I have never once been delayed at immigration or baggage reclaim. It's not the best airport in the world but compared to some others I have been to it's really not that bad.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester Airport - what a joke!

Is there something else irking you here, because this post does appear a little of an over-reaction to what I'll admit is a delay of sorts, but certainly not deserved of that rant :) ? Especially from somebody already prepared to add 2 hours to their journey by choosing to fly into such an awful airport.

If delays of that nature rile you to such an extent, then I'll look forward to some spectacuar outpourings when you find yourself at Stansted when some budget airline has a logistical breakdown. You'll tear the place up !

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester Airport - what a joke!

If you travel you will occasionally get delays of any type,we use Manchester regularly and I can assure you it's really not much difference than any other.

What difference does it make?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester Airport - what a joke!

Fly from or to anywhere and you will face delays , part of flying .

Accept it and get over it.

If it isn't going to change your life don't let it.

Had some delays at MAN. Over the years but mostly it goes as I expect, it's no better or worse than anywhere else.

It's an airport , hundreds of thousand of passengers, hundreds of planes, thousands of staff so on a daily basis stuff happens.

Once got stuck on the M1 for five hours but still use it when I travel to London.

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester Airport - what a joke!

After travelling extensively you've found Manchester Airport to be particularly bad? Why then, do you continue to fly to that airport? If you have no other choice but to fly to that airport then my suggestion would be to expect the worst before you get there and then you can have no real complaints.

I've used Manchester Airport on a number of occasions and never found anything particularly wrong with it. Airports are all the same as far as I am concerned and I expect delays because unfortunately that's part and parcel of travelling.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester Airport - what a joke!

Try LHR on a Sunday evening when a few long-haul flights land together - makes Manchester sound a breeze.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester Airport - what a joke!

We just departed from MAN to YYZ couple of days ago and found this airport to be very well organized and user-friendly. Very pleasant surprise for us