We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester Airport Train Information and Hotel

Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester Airport Train Information and Hotel

Traveling on United between USA and Manchester. Which terminal does United use? I need to take a train from airport to Rochdale and later from Rochdale to York, then back to airport. Can I buy tickets at stations?

Is there an airport hotel within walking distance of terminal?

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester Airport Train Information and Hotel

Your flight will arrive at Terminal 2.

There are several hotels on the airport and more just outside.

Alternatively, stay in the city centre, just 20 mins by regular train to Manchester Piccadily station.

It is a short train ride from Manchester Victoria to Rochdale.

From Rochdale to York, you would probably have to change en route at Leeds.

You can take a direct train from York back to Manchester Airport.

You can buy train tickets on the day, but you will get a much cheaper price if you book ahead for longer journeys, such as the York to Manchester trip.

Have a look at www.nationalrail.co.uk for train info and the airport website gives lots of info about hotels and transport options. It is www.manchesterairport.co.uk

Enjoy your trip to the North!

Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester Airport Train Information and Hotel

Thank you. Is there a hotel from which I can just walk to the gate rather than taking a shuttle?

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester Airport Train Information and Hotel

The Radisson hotel is a short covered walk via travelator located between Terminal 2 and the airport train station. It is not the cheapest hotel but is definitely the best located and actually quite pleasant.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester Airport Train Information and Hotel

Advice on traveling from the airport to Rochdale is going to depend on which area of Rochdale you are visiting. There are trains every few minutes from the airport to Manchester City Centre, you then have a choice of the bus, tram, or train to your final destination in Rochdale.

Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester Airport Train Information and Hotel

I am going to the Best Western Broadfield Park in Rochdale town center. What do you suggest? I expect I will have to take a taxi from the station.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester Airport Train Information and Hotel

That hotel is close to the train station, so you could walk - the area around the station is quite run down but I would not say it is unsafe - any locals know better? A taxi would cost a few pounds at most.

No disrespect to Rochdale, but it is not a tourist destination and I think you would be much better off staying in Manchester City Centre and visiting Rochdale by train - it is just 15/20 mins journey with at least 3 trains every hour.

Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester Airport Train Information and Hotel

I appreciate your comments, but I am visiting Rochdale as it was the birthplace of my grandfather and I am hoping to visit his homesite and the grave of my great grandmother. I have engaged a blue badge guide to show me these and some other historical sites. I also understand that Touchstones in Rochdale has some genealogical information.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester Airport Train Information and Hotel

There's no need to take a taxi from Rochdale station to your hotel, it's an easy, short walk. It may be a different matter if you have a lot of luggage.

Purchase your rail ticket to Rochdale at the airport station and catch one of the many trains for the 20 minute trip to Manchester Piccadilly Station. The Rochdale trains leave from Manchester Victoria Station. The two stations are connected by The Metrolink tram system.

Catch a Bury tram from the lower level at Piccadilly Station to Victoria Station. Your tram fare is included in your rail ticket. There are four trains an hour from Victoria to Rochdale.

On leaving Rochdale Station you'll see the tram station next to a large church, take that road and follow the new tram construction site to the T junction. The tram site goes right at that junction, you turn left and turn right at Park Street into Broadfield Park. Your hotel is across the park.

Good luck!

Edited: 09 July 2013, 01:44
Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester Airport Train Information and Hotel

Thanks so much for the detailed information.

Manchester, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester Airport Train Information and Hotel

It's nice to get co- operation in Rochdale.welcome.