We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoor dining in central Manchester

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Outdoor dining in central Manchester

There's probably not a lot of need for this normally, but I am meeting a couple of friends in Manchester on Thursday when the forecast is apparently good. We need somewhere for a late lunch/very early dinner, brasserie type I imagine, but it would be nice if there was somewhere outdoors, roof terrace or the like. Preferably on route between Piccadilly Station and the Midland Hotel, or not far from it. Any ideas?

manchester
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outdoor dining in central Manchester

Have a look at Dukes 92. It isn't between your specified locations but it is within walking distance. Has a very large outdoor terrace and overlooks the Rochdale canal with locks and barges. This place has a large menu and lots of drinks choice.

Alternatively, Canal St is within these locations, also running alongside the canal. I have enjoyed food in both Eden and Velvet. Both have outdoor seating space with Eden actually having a boat on the canal that you can sit and eat on.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,932 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outdoor dining in central Manchester

How about Kro in Piccadilly Gardens??

manchesterbynight.com/venues/kro-bar-piccadi…

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outdoor dining in central Manchester

How about Restaurant Bar & Grill on John Dalton Street? individualrestaurants.com/bar-and-grill/…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outdoor dining in central Manchester

Yep, Restaurant Bar & Grill is a good recommendation - they have recently added a large outside balcony/terrace.

A selection of others:

Next to Dukes92 is Albert's Shed, their outside eating area is both covered and has heating.

Grinch on Chapel walks.

Three or four restaurants on Exchange Square all with outside seating.

Both Alchemist restaurants/bars have outside seating.

The Oast House has lots of outside space.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,932 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outdoor dining in central Manchester

I think the forecast doesn't look so good anymore :( unless you can come tomorrow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643123

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outdoor dining in central Manchester

No, I noticed the weather could have cooled off by Thursday. Canal Street is on our route so will have a look at it anyway, I somehow don't think we will starve, wherever we end up! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outdoor dining in central Manchester

Market restaurant in the Northern Quarter has a small amount of outdoor seating, the food is decent too - it's continental cafe style in design

http://www.market-restaurant.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outdoor dining in central Manchester

Maybe this could be of help: http://www.restaurantsofmanchester.com/.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outdoor dining in central Manchester

Well, thanks for the suggestions. The weather had cooled considerably by Thursday so eating out was no longer an option. We did walk up Canal Street on the way to the Midland but it looked grubby and a bit seedy in the daytime. After we had met our friend at the Midland we walked out from there and ended up at Bistro 1847 nearby, Vegetarian (none of us are vegetarian but happy to give it a try) Homemade & British, fitted the bill very well and we had a leisurely almost 3 hours there before heading back to Piccadilly for our trains.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,932 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outdoor dining in central Manchester

Thanks for the update Penny - guess you didn't need our help after all. Sounds like you had a good day, shame the weather wasn't too co-operative!