We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains, Stations, Trams help - Manchester in March 2014

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Trains, Stations, Trams help - Manchester in March 2014

Hi all, I will be travelling to Manchester-London-Paris in March 2014 with my husband and 2-year-old. Our first stop will be Manchester for about 3 nights as me and hubby are football fans and would like to visit Old Trafford as well as Anfield. Problem is this is our first time travelling out of our neighbouring countries, so we are a little noob. I have been studying the maps around Manchester but is still a little confused. Here are the doubts I have:

1) From Manchester airport, which train do we take to our hotel? We will be staying at Premier Inn Old Trafford. And do we have to purchase this ticket before hand or could we do it there?

2) Where do we transfer the trains to Old Trafford? Which direction should we be going?

3) After alighting, would it be quite a distance from the tram station to our hotel? Can we simply walk there?

Would appreciate any help given at all! Thank you and God bless ya all.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,110 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains, Stations, Trams help - Manchester in March 2014

Hi and welcome to the forms

From Manchester airport terminals, there are covered walkways to the Bus/Train station. From there, get a train to Manchester Piccadilly. The cost is about £4 single, and the trains run almost all the time apart from a few hours in the middle of the night.

Check times here:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Station codes are MIA and MAN.

From Manchester Piccadilly you need to get a tram (the 'Metrolink') or a taxi to your hotel.

The nearest tram station is Exchange Quay, which you get to by a tram whose destination is Eccles or MediaCity. A little bit further (but possibly easier directions) is Old Trafford station, on a tram whose destination is Altrincham. Eccles/Mediacity and Altrincham trams both go from Piccadily, where the metrolink staton is below the main railway station, on the left hand side as you are leaving the platforms.

Metrolink details here:

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

Exchange quay would be about 10 minutes walk or a bit less, Old Trafford about 5 minutes more.

Note you MUST buy a ticket for the tram from the machine on the platform. It is completely separate to the mainline rail service. A single will be about £3, and to be honest if there are 2 or more of you it might be best to get a taxi, which should be less than £10. The taxi rank is also down below the main station.

Finally, note that the postcode for your hotel is M17 1WS, in case you want to see how to walk there by looking at Google earth. Confusingly, the road address of the hotel has changed in the last week to Sir Alex Ferguson Way as a recognition of his achievements.

Have a great time and please come back on here if you have any more questions!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains, Stations, Trams help - Manchester in March 2014

Hi, and welcome. Given that you will be in Manchester for 3 nights (a good decision), and also wish to visit Liverpool/Anfield (also a good decision, even though I'm a ManU supporter), I feel it would be better if you were to stay in Manchester city centre itself at Premier Inn Central or Premier Inn Portland Steet, for instance.

Premier Inn Old Trafford is obviously close to our ManU stadium (about 2.5 miles outside city centre) but IMO city centre is better for a 3 night stop-over. I feel the other hotels would give you many more options of what to do during your visit and make the initial arrival in Manchester and the Liverpool trip that bit easier.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains, Stations, Trams help - Manchester in March 2014

Purchase your train ticket to Piccadilly Station at the airport Station. The fare is about £4.00 for the 20 minute journey.

There are trains every few minutes from the airport to Manchester Piccadilly Station, when you reach Piccadilly Station go to the lower level and catch any tram apart from The Ashton tram. Don't purchase a tram ticket, your train ticket allows you to continue your journey in the city centre.

The tram will take you to Piccadilly Gardens Interchange, you'll only be going one stop, but using the tram will stop you getting lost and it will help with the luggage.

From the interchange, catch The #50 bus to your hotel, the bus stops at the front of the hotel.

It's possible to catch a tram from Piccadilly Station to one of the stops close to your hotel, but that would leave you with a 10 minute walk. With a child and luggage, the train, tram and bus would give you a door to door service, and no walking.

Enjoy your trip, you'll find that we are a pretty friendly lot in Manchester.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains, Stations, Trams help - Manchester in March 2014

Thank you so much! You really did help clear some doubts! I do have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1) We'll be going to Liverpool to visit Anfield on our third day at Manchester, which train should we take, to which destination and where do we stop? Again, is the ticket to be purchased beforehand or at the station itself?

2) London would be our next stop. Train help again pls?

Thanks in advance!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains, Stations, Trams help - Manchester in March 2014

Hi kwuk! Thank you for your suggestions. I'm currently looking at the other Premier Inn hotels to see what other options we have. But when I searched 'Premier Inn' from here, there are so many of its kind! Gosh. I don't even know where to begin!

The Premier Inn Central that you're talking about, where is the exact location and what is the exact name? When I start typing 'Premier Inn' the dropdown gave me so many options!

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains, Stations, Trams help - Manchester in March 2014

I agree with KWUK, you would be far better staying in the city centre. Premier Inn, Piccadilly is next to Piccadilly Station. The hotel gets good reviews and is ideally placed for transport to Old Trafford and Liverpool.

premierinn.com/en/hotel/MANDAL/manchester-ci…

The two hotels suggested by KWUW are in the city centre, not too far from Oxford Road Station. You could catch a train to Liverpool from that station, as well as Piccadilly Station.

premierinn.com/en/…manchester-central

Purchase your train tickets to Liverpool Lime Street when you travel, you can make a small saving on that route by purchasing Advance tickets, but that would limit you to a specific train and you would lose the flexibility of Off Peak tickets.

It's better to use the express trains for your Liverpool trip, there are 2 an hour from Piccadilly and Oxford Road stations, avoid the slower stopping trains from Oxford Road Station.

I take it that you're travelling to London from Liverpool. If that's the case, book your train tickets from Liverpool Lime Street Station to London Euston Station. Virgin Trains operate that route, you can make quite a saving by purchasing Advance tickets but, as stated, that would limit you to a specific train.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains, Stations, Trams help - Manchester in March 2014

I forgot to mention, train tickets are available from 12 weeks prior to the date of travel. Cheap Advance tickets sell out quite quickly.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains, Stations, Trams help - Manchester in March 2014

Trains to Liverpool go from Manchester Picadilly or Manchester Oxford Road (on the same line) or Manchester Victoria, use whichever is more convenient for wherever you end up staying and they run on a regular basis. Tickets must be purchased before boarding the train, you might be able to get cheap tickets restricting you a certain train if you book in advance, but otherwise just buy on the day. As for which stop you need in Liverpool to get to Anfailed, you would be better off asking in the Liverpool forum, I'm a United fan so couldn't tell you.

For London, book train tickets in advance and you can get a single for one adult from Manchester Picadilly to London Eutson for £12.50, trains run on a regular basis. Much better trying to book a cheaper ticket in advance if you can, the on the day fares can be a lot more expensive.

For train times and ticket information/prices for the Manchester-London trip, look up Virgin trains. Can't remember who the operators are for the Liverpool services, but try the red spotted hanky website. Somebody else might know the train operator for Liverpool.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,110 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trains, Stations, Trams help - Manchester in March 2014

<<From the interchange, catch The #50 bus to your hotel, the bus stops at the front of the hotel.>>

I thought the 50 went along Upper Brook St to East Didsbury??

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trains, Stations, Trams help - Manchester in March 2014

Well spotted Steve, I meant The X50 bus. There's a prize in the post for you. :-))