We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Metrolink Shuttle Bus to the Trafford Centre

Singapore
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Topic
Question about Metrolink Shuttle Bus to the Trafford Centre

Hi all, so i've decided to take some time out to do some shopping and dinner at the Trafford Centre. I did some online research and realised there is this Shuttle Bus called ML1 which i can use to get myself to the Trafford Centre at Stretford Station. Is this service free to and fro? Or do i have to get myself a bus ticket somewhere before boarding? I will be heading there from Old Trafford Station on a Saturday and probably be buying the 'Adult Weekend Travel Card' if this helps further.

Thank you all :)

Manchester
Level Contributor
127 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Metrolink Shuttle Bus to the Trafford Centre

Hi

This bus is free when displaying your tram ticket

Tram from Old Trafford-Stretford is just one stop(2 min journey)

Singapore
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Metrolink Shuttle Bus to the Trafford Centre

Thank you for the quick response. So i take it that this 'Weekend Travel Card' i bought for the trams covers this bus service to the Trafford Centre as well?

Whaley Bridge...
Level Contributor
115 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Metrolink Shuttle Bus to the Trafford Centre

Just make sure you buy a ticket to The Trafford Centre (otherwise, there will be a fare to pay on the ML1 bus if you only have a ticket valid to Stretford) - applies if you buy a single.

For the adult weekend ticket it seems unclear - it says unlimited on the Tram, but no mention of the ML1 bus. I'd assume that the bus is not included, as otherwise, logically thinking, the bus company perhaps wouldn't get any revenue from carrying you. I'd definitely try it with the adult weekend ticket, but be prepared that you may have to buy a return bus ticket (the fare is payable on the bus).

Edited: 21 October 2013, 18:01
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,114 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Metrolink Shuttle Bus to the Trafford Centre

Gari's right, there's no mention on the website about day/weekend passes and the bus.

However, I've phoned up and asked them - and they say the day and weekend passes both include travel by bus to and from the Trafford Centre by the bus from Stretford.

Note that this is only for the dedicated Metrolink shuttle bus from and to Stretford station, not any other bus.

Singapore
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Metrolink Shuttle Bus to the Trafford Centre

Thank you so much guys. Great to hear that the weekend ticket serves the shuttle bus to Trafford Centre as well :)

Edited: 22 October 2013, 05:11
Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Metrolink Shuttle Bus to the Trafford Centre

When the Trafford Centre was built it was a condition that it be linked to Metrolink - the expectation being that Peel would extend a line to it. However, they failed to negotiate over lines already in the area (effectively a ransom by other landowners) and introduced the shuttle as a compromise to settle the issue. In principle this means it should be free for everyone as Peel pays for it.

Manchester, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about Metrolink Shuttle Bus to the Trafford Centre

Can I just ask, this shuttle bus (ML1) can it be used Free of Charge if you buy a 7 day Metrolink ticket to the Trafford Centre?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,114 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about Metrolink Shuttle Bus to the Trafford Centre

I didn't know you could buy a Metrolink weekly ticket to the Trafford Centre, but if you can, then it must include the shuttle bus, as that is the only way of getting there by any transport related to Metrolink. But that ticket would only include the shuttle to/from Stretford station, and not any other bus.

Manchester, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about Metrolink Shuttle Bus to the Trafford Centre

Well I was questioning it myself so emailed metrolink, talk about confusing - Anyway I have in my hand a 7 day ticket to the Trafford Centre, it cost £30, it was purchased at 9:09am this morning. Metrolink says I cannot use it before 9:30am, its off peak only. It does not say anywhere on the ticket Off Peak.

I don't want pulling by a guard for having an invalid ticket, can anyone advise on this situation?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,114 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about Metrolink Shuttle Bus to the Trafford Centre

The mystery deepens...I've just done a dummy booking for a weekly ticket from Sale, and can't do it, they only let me book to Stretford!

But, I think this page suggests that season tickets can be used on all trams, regardless of times:

metrolink.co.uk/tickets/Pages/season-ticket-…

which is unlike the situation for day tickets, which can only be used after 0930 on weekdays.

If I were you I'd contact them again, or phone. Whenever I've had a query, I have always found them very helpful, and what's more, they always seem to answer the phone pretty quickly - 0161 205 2000.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer.